Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 17th, 2014 13:00

Unable to Install Windows 8

Hello, I  have a dell inspiron 13z-5323. I recently had the hard drive replaced after I was told it malfunctioned. Since my laptop does not have a CD-Rom drive, I was mailed a Windows 8 recover key (USB), to reinstall windows. Once I power the computer on, it goes to a blank screen that says "Operating system not found." It then automatically takes me to the Boot options. I'm given the option to boot from the "removable device" or USB, but every time I hit enter, it just takes me back to the screen that says "Operating system not found." Even if I place the USB in first, than power on the computer, it still does not recognize it. I am able to get into BIOS,and I was also able to run a diagnostic. There were no errors found. Not quite sure what I can do at this point. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You

2 Posts

July 17th, 2014 15:00

Hello,

The Boot mode is set to "UEFI; Secure boot:OFF". After restarting the computer with the USB in place, it's still taking me to the "Operation System not found" screen. I've also tried it with the boot mode set to "Legacy; Secure boot:OFF," and received the same response.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2014 15:00

In order to boot the flash drive, secure boot must be turned OFF in UEFI setup (f2 at powerup).

No Events found!