Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

40 Posts

May 6th, 2017 11:00

I have been running the Intel drivers version 21.20.16.4627 from Dell's website for a month or so and I have suffered from regular flicker. I am using a slightly older NVidia 22.21.13.8165 drivers. I'll try updating the NVidia drivers to see if that makes a difference.

There is a new set of Intel drivers from the Intel website (version 4664): downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

The release notes suggest that screen flicker has been fixed. I'm going to try installing them to see if that makes a difference.

I see Dell are continuing to ignore us in this thread. I really wish I'd bought a MacBook or a Lenovo. Live and learn I guess.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2017 20:00

Add me to the list of the flicker club.  Actually I never really had the issue so severely until I downloaded the "latest" driver today.  Now I'm interested in trying .4664 but it won't let me.  Says it's not compatible? Can somebody give me some detailed instructions on this DDU safe mode thing?  What is DDU?

40 Posts

May 7th, 2017 02:00

@DrewEugene17 - The Chrome issue you describe is known as stutter lag. The work around is to disable GPU hardware acceleration in Chrome. This is known to resolve the issue but it then means that things like videos was be very jerky owing to the lack of GPU acceleration. If you Google 9560 stutter lag you will find countless threads on the likes of Reddit with users having this very same issue.

It is far too soon to say, but I have not encountered any flickering with the latest driver yet. However, I am still getting the display corruption/stutter lag when using Excel.

May 7th, 2017 03:00

@Beau1k: You have two ways. Download the latest driver and save it locally. Search on google and download DDU (it's the first result from guru3D). Reboot the notebook and during and before the login hold shift and click on the power icon on lower right, then reboot again. Now you should face some advanced choices for the maintenance of the pc. I don't remember exactly, but there is an option like "advanced options" then "startup settings". Click restart and chose safe mode.

Now open DDU, select the Intel graphic and uninstall it, then reboot again.

Now you can install the latest driver from Intel directly with a double click. This work for me. Maybe because the aren't Dell drivers anymore.

@cc84: Yes, with the "flickers drivers" I have major issue with flickers and minor issue with the stutters, and the stutters/freezes only last fwe seconds. Now I haven't flickers (only two in two days) but major issue with the freezing, especially switching very "riches" tabs with images, videos and text.

I have only two flickers so far, yesterday after 20hours of usage, switching tabs on an already loaded video on youtube, a freeze with immediately after that a very quick barcode flicker.

And the second one right now, but I have ten tabs open with video, and only last one blink, so even if is not perfect is already a big step forward respect the Dell drivers of the latest weeks.

Now they only need to refine the optimisation for Chrome.

15 Posts

May 7th, 2017 16:00

@DrewEugene17 , when you say that you have "two flickers so far", is that with the newest generic Intel driver (4664)? You also stated that you haven't flickers but in parenthesis you put "only two in two days" too, so that contradicts itself if that's the case.

May 7th, 2017 17:00

@Wingpin: Yes, with the latest driver. The thing is, in general I can say that I have no more flickers. Is the second days and both the websites with heavy text and Excel don't trigger the issue.

I have stated before that with the Dell drivers I had something like twenty to thirty flickers per day. Now in two entire days I only came across the flicker issue two times, and maybe this is a different problem, because in both cases the screen flicker is not the barcode type, but a very quick black flash of the screen that is lasted for the blink of an eye. And only after Chrome freeze and crash.

To be clear, in general I haven't the same old flickers (30 barcode flickers during the day that last a few seconds), I only incurred in two single events of flickering (black screen) immediately after Chrome crash due the presence of videos in some tabs. I have said that because for me is a total improvement to not have a single flicker in 20 hours of continued use of the notebook, not perfect, but very very better.

21 Posts

May 7th, 2017 18:00

What is the differences between Intel driver and Dell driver? cause I can see the driver version is so much different, does Dell usually just rename the Intel driver version or adding something Dell specific to the driver?

May 7th, 2017 22:00

Thanks, i looking for this

May 7th, 2017 22:00

Thanks, i have the same problem

15 Posts

May 9th, 2017 06:00

After 15 hrs of active use with the 4664 driver from Intel, I'm not seeing anymore flickers.

@RickyGao, I suspect Dell tests the Intel driver to check if it's stable. And if it's stable then they officially brand it with Dell. They also put their own installer too to make it more "Dell".

6 Posts

May 9th, 2017 12:00

I have used the new Intel driver version (21.20.16.4664) for a couple of days now and haven't experienced any flickering. Hopefully it will continue like this.

16 Posts

May 9th, 2017 14:00

Update: it's been one week since my factory reset, and I'm happy to say I've had no flickering.

Intel driver: 21.20.16.4627

Nvidia driver: 22.21.13.8189

17 Posts

May 9th, 2017 14:00

Same here. No flickering after Intel driver 4664 were installed. It's three days now.

6 Posts

May 9th, 2017 15:00

I confirm that I have no flicker for more then 3 days after upgraded to the latest Intel driver .4664

1 Message

May 10th, 2017 02:00

I still have screen flicker after upgrading to the latest Intel Driver .4664. The people who don't have screen flickers anymore, are you using the multiple desktops function on windows? Because I occured flicker when I only used one desktop but when I opened another desktop I did nog yet see any flickering (since last night).

Correct?

No Events found!