Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

11 Posts

June 19th, 2017 23:00

I got my Dell XPS 15 9560 with 4K screen today. The screen is flickering every time I turn on the laptop. Should I send it back?

15 Posts

June 20th, 2017 03:00

You should definitely send it back if it has flicker issues. I had two in a row with flickering, sent both of them back for refunds. Don't send them back for repair, insist on a refund and buy another. I won't be buying another though, since I've wasted over a month trying to get a machine that worked and ended up giving up and buying something else!

6 Posts

June 20th, 2017 05:00

When i get my Dell 9560 one month ago everything was Ok. last week i update my BIOS(1.3.3) and some other stuff in my computer and all the problems started. First i get random BSODs. Dell suggest me to reinstall windows. I reinstalled windows and installed drivers in correct order. But when i installed Intel display driver (4627) i starts getting BSODs. When i delete that Driver and installed 4668 flickering problems started. I uninstalled it again and installed 4678 . Some times my screen goes black and windows crached!

Dell suggest me to Uninstall both Nvidia and Intel Display driver  and install Intel display driver first and then install nvidia. But i do that and still getting random BSODs.

Now Dell tell me you should bear with us until we get an update!

6 Posts

June 20th, 2017 08:00

I would do a fresh windows install and then see how well it works. If you have creators update installed, it is easy to get a fresh install. Go to settings, update & security, recovery and click get started under reset this pc. It will reinstall windows and all store apps.

2 Posts

June 21st, 2017 16:00

I get screen flickering upon startup. I disabled "Dell PremierColor" and it stopped screen flickering.

2 Posts

June 21st, 2017 16:00

I've just bought my new XPS 15 9560 (4K screen with 32Go RAM). And I had the same issue. Actually I noticed the screen flickering upon startup, so I disabled the "Dell PremierColor" and I don't get flickering screen any more. Try out this, it may help.

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 03:00

The issue with screen flickering when hyper-v is installed seems to be fixed with the driver 15.45.18.4664 (21.20.16.4664) and above. The release note is also confirming that the bug has been fixed:

"KEY ISSUES FIXED:

Display may flicker while Hyper-V is enabled"

downloadmirror.intel.com/.../ReleaseNotes_GFX_154518.4664.pdf

2nd page.

@Dell, when will you update the driver?

6 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 08:00

I tested 4664 but still have flickering issue.

6 Posts

June 25th, 2017 02:00

I found that my problem wast from Intel driver. It was from BIOS ver 1.3.3 .

I started new topic here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20015160

June 26th, 2017 15:00

Same issue on my laptop. So far I have observed it only in Chrome

June 28th, 2017 04:00

I have had the laptop for about a week now and it appears that the problem gets worse with time. It started off with barely perceptible flickers but last evening I experienced strong flickers with black and white bar code like patterns. From what I can see on various forums Dell does not have any solution to offer for this problem. I've opened a technical support ticket with them but it has yet to picked up by someone at Dell. Very disappointed by the poor quality of what is quite an expensive device.

1 Message

June 28th, 2017 10:00

The same problem is on the Dell Precision 5520

https://youtu.be/WE0wfJXKHAA

Dell Precision 5520: 7820HQ / 32 GB RAM / 520 GB Drive / 4k screen

2 Posts

June 28th, 2017 19:00

Are you sure that windows didn't roll back automatically to dell's drivers?

46 Posts

July 4th, 2017 23:00

Just saw that dell released their version of the intel .4664 driver. In the product details there is no mention of a fix for the flickering issue but still.... I won't try it since I have no problems with my generic 4664 and will stick to that.

downloads.dell.com/.../Intel-HD-Graphics_9FFYR_WIN_21.20.16.4664_A04.EXE

No Events found!