Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2011 12:00

dell latitude d620 shuts down on its own

Hiya, can use the laptop for very very short periods of time then the laptop shuts down as if its overheating....

ive cleaned everything out and have noticed the fans never spinning... so i purchased another fan and that doesnt spin either ... now either both fans are broke or there is a problem with something else...

i need help as i cant afford to take laptop to be repaired and need it asap...

is there anyway i can test the fans i have a multi meter but not sure what to check...

i could fit fan to 12 volts or 6 volts  or whatever to check if i knew what to do..

would really appreciate some help with this one guys..

andy

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 16th, 2011 17:00

The fans can be tested in the Dell Diagnostics. Press F12 at the boot to get there.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2011 23:00

ok. just done that and it stops on hard drive test....and a window comes up saying

"pre-boot system assessment complete, no diagnostic utility partition identified please select ok to reboot your system"

is this saying its finished test and nothing found or that because no partition found it cant carry on...

nothing in the test about fans and fans stay stationary thruought the test..

thanks

andy

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 17th, 2011 10:00

You must have a damaged Diagnostics partition. The hard drive may be bad. You should be able to run the Diagnostics from the OS recovery Disk. If not, boot to Windows, right click on the C: drive, select Properties, select Tools and run Error Checking. You will need to reboot for this utility to run.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2011 07:00

ive  just deleted and formatted the hdd, and put the windows cd in , it starts installing windows  drivers, then it goes to start windows and then shuts off instantly..

at no time during the above operation did the fan spin....

the proccesor hasnt even started doing anything complicated yet has it , so .......

this is really doing my head in .. its been out of action for 3 month..... now....

4 Posts

February 19th, 2011 13:00

ok , last post i guess, as ive come to the conclusion the motherboards shot... just stripped the board out of the casing and set it up on the table ... put a win xp setup disk in and booted it up..... it reads disk and starts loading setup files, when all the setup files are loaded it says.... starting windows... then shuts off every time...

hard drive fault ..?

dunno ...

big hammer time i think

No Events found!