Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2012 19:00

how to install driver (chipset - JMicron JMB389 Card Reader)

Hello,

When doing a clean Windows/drivers installation on my L502x I know the very first drivers I should install are Chip Set drivers.

All 4 drivers here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/au/en/aubsd1

However I'm having problems with JMicron JMB389 Card Reader here :

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/au/en/aubsd1/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=1D86V&FileId=2731100296

Whenever I install it I get an Installation Not Successful message, which says there's no *PCI Simple Communications Control *Multimedia Controller *Network Controller *Ethernet Controller...

However if I install it after I have installed the drivers for those network adapters listed above it installs without any error (Installation Not Successful) message...

So my question, do I still install this Chip Set driver very first thing (with the other Chip Set drivers), or do I install after I have downloaded the Network Adapter drivers which are triguring the unsuccessful installation message?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

122 Posts

January 27th, 2012 19:00

On another forum about L502x there's a list for drivers installation order, and that particular Chip Set driver is not installed until #20.... Is that OK, it seems it has to be that way - but I'm confused because I keep being told Chip Set must be the first installed, but it seems this particular one just won't install unless the other non chip set drivers stored before it....

forum.notebookreview.com/7415385-post736.html

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 1st, 2012 07:00

So there is a pecking order on driver installation.  When chipset is mentioned, it is only talking about the chipset driver, not the remaining drivers listed under the chipset category.  

So driver installation should go something like this

Dell Notebook System Software

Chipset (only the driver for the chipset, not the card reader or any other drivers listed under the chipset category)

Video (only the integrated video or discreet GPU drivers, not  TV tuner or other drivers listed under video)

audio

Network (usually a lot of network drivers listed, only install the wireless and wired drivers for the cards that shipped with the notebook)

After you have the first drivers installed, you should have basic functionality of the notebook now.  You can now start installing the rest of the drivers. Please remember that Dell.com lists all the drivers for all the devices that can ship with your model of notebook.  Actually only install those drivers to the devices that you have ordered with your notebook.

I hope this helps out a little bit.  One other point, when installing a driver you are often given the choice of custom or express install.  Unless you are an expert with that driver, I always suggest using the express method for installing a driver.

TB

1 Rookie

• 

122 Posts

February 1st, 2012 08:00

Hello Terry,

Yes thanks your post was very helpful a couple of days ago...

OK so is it OK to have Chip Set drivers as steps 2,3 and 4 as I have below? (but I have JMicron JMB Card Reader as 13 because it wouldn't correctly install before some of those later drivers). And do I have the driver for the Chip Set correct order?

You seemed to think 2 days ago this is an acceptable/appropriate order? (my list below).

Thanks again

01) SYSTEM UTILITIES - ST Microelectronics DE351DL Motion Sensor

02) CHIP SET - Intel Huron River (HM67)

03) CHIP SET - Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller

04) CHIP SET - Intel Management Engine Interface

05) VIDEO - Intel HD Graphics 3000

06) VIDEO - nVidia N12E-GE-B(LP)-GT 550M

07) AUDIO -  Realtek ALC665 Audio

08) NETWORK - Realtek RTL8111EL

09) NETWORK - Dell Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230

10) NETWORK - Dell Intel PROSet/Wireless BT Software Intel Intel 6230 (BT3.0+HS)

11) VIDEO - Intel Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager

12) VIDEO - AVerMedia AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/DVB-T

13) CHIP SET - JMicron JMB389 Card Reader

14) APPLICATION - Dell QuickSet

15) INPUT -  Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad

16) INPUT - Quanta H.264 integrate webcam

17) CPU - Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Software

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 1st, 2012 09:00

bomber1978

Typically when I am going over the notebook boards, I have it configured so that I see older posts from the start of the week, that way I can try to help customers that may not have not already received answers from other forums readers.  I am sorry for the delay in getting to you.

The first driver should be the dell notebook system software if available.

The second driver the intell Huron river driver.  All other drivers marked "chipset" can wait until the network drivers are installed.

The Video driver,  Good, you have both the integrated Intel HD driver, and the Nvidia discreet driver installed.

Audio driver.

Network drivers.

After the network drivers are installed I generally suggest the touchpad driver if you are using it while installing the drivers.  Then the remainder of the chipset and video drivers and any other drivers.  The idea though is get the system up to a working state, some of the drivers require internet connection while installing and that is one of the reasons I suggest waiting until the network drivers are installed before installing the remaining drivers.

Is the notebook running alright, if you check device manager are you seeing any notification of missing drivers?

TB

1 Rookie

• 

122 Posts

February 1st, 2012 15:00

Hi Terry,

Thanks very much again for your help, you're putting my mind at ease that I'm getting everything installed in the correct order! *Just a note - when you say some of these drivers need internet connection when installing, I have not been connected when installing any of them as I downloaded them all off a USB (I put them all on a USB when I downloaded them from the Dell website).

OK below is my NEW order (it would only take me 45 mins to clean install everything again - I don't mind doing it knowing everything is in recommended order for the L502x - it's been interesting learning about this stuff).

Does this order look OK to you, any last order changes I should make?

And before I forget, as I am running off a SSD to I need to install "R296901 - Intel Rapid Storage Technology" (I'm told it's for RAIN), do I insert this into the below list somewhere or just leave it off?

And I'm not sure what DELL QUCK SET is? Do I need that?

03) VIDEO - Intel HD Graphics 3000

04) VIDEO - nVidia N12E-GE-B(LP)-GT 550M

05) AUDIO -  Realtek ALC665 Audio

06) NETWORK - Realtek RTL8111EL

07) NETWORK - Dell Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230

08) NETWORK - Dell Intel PROSet/Wireless BT Software Intel Intel 6230 (BT3.0+HS)

09) INPUT -  Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad

10) CHIP SET - Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller

11) CHIP SET - Intel Management Engine Interface

12) CHIP SET - JMicron JMB389 Card Reader

13) VIDEO - Intel Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager

14) VIDEO - AVerMedia AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/DVB-T

15) APPLICATION - Dell QuickSet

4.4K Posts

February 1st, 2012 21:00

QuickSet Program

• POWER: Power management schemes, Battery resource information and health, Warning messages unsupported power-adapter/dock/battery scenarios are detected.
  • DISPLAY: Display brightness, Desktop font & Internet Explorer Scaling, Display switching via Fn+F8 and presentation mode.
  • NETWORK/CONNECTIVITY: Radio/Wireless activity control using the wireless switch (OR) the Fn+F2 hotkey depending on your system, Location Profiler (Creation and switching of profiles comprising location dependent system settings; Managing multiple connections), Internal network card activity (depending on your system), Wi-Fi Catcher(TM) Network Locator Configuration
  • OTHER/SYSTEM SETTINGS: Volume status, Hotkey hibernate, MediaDirect (on certain systems)
  • XPS SYSTEMS only: LED color control and Touchpad LED control (depending on your system), Advanced power schemes.

1 Rookie

• 

122 Posts

February 1st, 2012 21:00

Hello,

Sorry I have slightly changed the order of that last list by moving the 2nd group of VIDEO drivers to before the 2nd group of Chipset drivers because otherwise JMicron Chipset gives the error "Multimedia Controller not found" unless VIDEO "Intel Intel Wireless Connection Manager" is installed before it....

I would still like to know what does Dell Quicket do, do I need it?

Also as I have a SSD and CD/DVD/Blu ray do I even need to install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", I think it assists RAID?

Please let me know if I should use this order, or make any changes?

THANK YOU

03) VIDEO - Intel HD Graphics 3000

04) VIDEO - nVidia N12E-GE-B(LP)-GT 550M

05) AUDIO -  Realtek ALC665 Audio

06) NETWORK - Realtek RTL8111EL

07) NETWORK - Dell Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230

08) NETWORK - Dell Intel PROSet/Wireless BT Software Intel Intel 6230 (BT3.0+HS)

09) INPUT -  Synaptics Synaptics TouchPad

10) VIDEO - Intel Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager

11) VIDEO - AVerMedia AVerMedia H339 Hybrid Analog/DVB-T

12) CHIP SET - Renesas USB3.0 Host Controller

13) CHIP SET - Intel Management Engine Interface

14) CHIP SET - JMicron JMB389 Card Reader

15) APPLICATION - Dell QuickSet

No Events found!