Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

September 3rd, 2009 14:00

inspiron 6400 factory reset

this laptop pc has effectively crashed although I did manage to back up all relevant files to an external hard drive.  Despite trying to reinstall following Dell diagnostics cd showing all clear I cannot establish from all the cd's I have how to reset to the factory settings.  Dell help forum suggests 'control' f11 at start up but this has proved to unsuccesful.  any other tips would be gratefully received with thanks, Steve

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 3rd, 2009 14:00

You must boot to your Windows disk to reinstall the operating system manually if Cntl+F11 doesn't work. If you need another OS reinstallation disk, order it Here.

Dell directions for reinstalling Windows: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&l=en&s=gen

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 15:00

Mary, thanks for your advice and link and although this took me to a US site I've completed the request so hopefully if USA can't source the discs they'll pass to UK branch to do so, Steve

5 Posts

September 4th, 2009 06:00

sadly all the USA site did was give me the hyperlink to the normal dell uk support site.  Is there an equivalent UK site that I can order the OS and driver discs from, thanks

No Events found!