Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 31st, 2008 11:00

m1330 media direct with ubuntu

Hi,

i recently took delivery of a new m1330 pre-installed with Ubuntu.

When i press the media direct button when the computer is off a Dell media direct "splash screen" is displayed for a couple of seconds, then the Grub text appears in the top right hand corner (press Esc for menu etc etc) and once the countdown has finished Ubuntu is loaded as if the power button has been pressed.

Is there something wrong with my media direct installation or does it have to be installed manually?

Also, i didn't get a expresscard remote, i've notice from reading various things that others have not received them. Has anyone had any luck getting one free of charge from Dell?

Thanks.

March 31st, 2008 12:00

i'm in the uk and the 'details' page of the m1330 stated the remote was included. There was also no option to customize the order to include the remote.

If media direct is a windows only thing then why does it flash up a media direct splash screen before loading windows? It would be good if someone from Dell could explain. This is the sort of thing that i'd expect in the user manual, however i received a vista user guide with my ubuntu laptop. Useful!

Thanks for your reply chrisaroz.

104 Posts

March 31st, 2008 12:00

Sorry I have no info on Media Direct (I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a Windows only feature).

As for the remote, that's an option as you customize, not a standard with the system.

No Events found!