Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 08:00

TS$SEGTB & Multiple LPAR's

What if? I have a multiple LPAR environment, with shared DASD. I am currently using the segment table method of dataset activation. I need to update the segment table for a test dataset. I know that I need to re-ENABLE TERASAM for that LPAR. Since the segment table has both production and test datasets living in it, may pose a problem. In my production LPAR there are datasets that are open to CICS, can I run the ENABLE job on the production LPAR with the CICS's running that have the production TERASAM files open? Thank you.

24 Posts

October 29th, 2009 06:00

James,

Once TS$SEGTB is updated, It will need to be refreshed in LLA; then TSM can be re-enabled with the additional parameter REQUEUE=TABLE. Do not disable TSM before re-enabling it. The LLA refresh and re-enable will have to be done on each LPAR. The new TSM dataset will not be under TSM control on LPARs which have not had the refresh and re-enable done.

As long as you don't diasble TSM while CICS is active your CICS datasets which are TSM controlled will be fine.

Message was edited by:
Marta Woods

15 Posts

October 29th, 2009 08:00

We do not want to add a new dataset, we need to update an existing dataset that is being managed by TSM. Since we have a shared DASD environment, and both test and production datasets are in the TS$SEGTB, we need to modify a test dataset. The following is how we ENABLE our TSM:

ENABLE PROD32,REQUEUE=ALL,INSTCD=443790447220,CONTROL=BOTH,REFRESH

Our procedures are to update the TS$SEGTB, then run a batch job to ENABLE TSM on each LPAR, since we have files in CICS, and CICS's in production will be up this time, will this still work?

24 Posts

October 30th, 2009 04:00

change the requeue=all to requeue=table. requeue=all will cause TSM's O/C/EOV hook modules to be replaced. If caught at just the right time that might cause problems. So only requeue the table.

requeue=all should be done with a quite system.

Message was edited by:
Marta Woods

15 Posts

October 30th, 2009 14:00

Marta, thank you for clearing this up. The install manual and the users manual do not explain, at least to me, what each of the REFRESH options mean. I needed a more clear description. Thank you.

154 Posts

November 4th, 2009 11:00

JB,

The REFRESH option either enable / disable updates the V$R ... or 'router' modules of TeraSAM which intercept the I/O. REFRESH on an enable reloads these modules into eCSA. DISABLE,REFRESH removes the pointers to these modules in CSA.

REQUEUE updates TeraSAM modules; that is, the actual product code, not the I/O intercepts. These are prefixed w/ TS$ ...

OPEN - updates the open modules - TS$OPn33 (n is generic)
CLOSE - updates only the close modules - TS$CLn33,
IO - updates the TeraSAM io (not the V$R modules above) or record handling modules.
TABLE - updates only your segment definition table (SEGTAB)
ALL - updates all of the above.

Hope this helps!

Dave Yates
EMC TSE3
Benevolent Host S/W & Mainframe Forum Moderator
"Il Moderatore Benevolo"
No Events found!