Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2009 13:00

Windows NTFS SRDF disks changed to RAW

I have an issue where I have two SRDF groups replicated to a remote site (Windows 2003 Server).
One set of drives replicates fine. The other set seems to be fine but they have been changed from NTFS file systems to RAW. The data seems to be fine. Can anyone tell me why this might happen?

30 Posts

September 24th, 2009 14:00

usually this should not happen. the file system is showing up as RAW meaning windows OS was not able to determine a valid winodws file system on the disk. oracle drives also show up as RAW.. it's funny that you state also that you are able to view the disk data OK in windows explorer. when did it start happening? and does a reboot fix it?

465 Posts

September 24th, 2009 16:00

Is this server a VM?

December 2nd, 2009 07:00

I've witnessed this multiple times with Windows 2008 Cluster. DMX devices presented to 2 hosts acting as a cluster. I was never able to view the file contents nor was I able to re-format the RAW drive successfully to NTFS. One suggestion was to run the following on the SYM CLI "symdev -sid XX write_disable DEVid  -SA all" then symdev -sid XX rw_enable DEVid  -SA all" (DEVid=device identifyer.) I've only had marginal success with this. Even unmasking from one or both of the hosts and then remasking to one host still produces the same problem. Also this was reproducible on a Striped meta also.

30 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 09:00

it's strange that you state the file system is still intact and mounted , meaning the display in windows is incorrect. a drive or mountpoint can only be attached to an NTFS volume/partition.  it would be interesting to see what sectorinspector shows for the partition table entries and for the file system type. you can get sectorinspector output from running emcreports on the windows host or running microsoft's MPSreports.

No Events found!