Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2016 13:00

Image Assist vs Image Direct

I just started looking into Image Assist and I'm a little confused with the process.  I used to use Image Direct and it seems the process has changed.

With Image Direct I'd create what I think now is called the "Reference Build" , OS and updates and maybe some OS preferences.  I'd sysprep and upload that and then upload all my MSI or .BAT scripts for each app to be installed post OS.  Which I assume is now like the Maintenance build.  Once approved it became my Gold Image.

My question is what apps go on the new Maintenance build?  Do I just load and configure my image with all the apps including ones that need to be post OS apps like LANDESK Agents and A/V.  These typically need to be installed post sysprep.  From what I read I guess I don't need to sysprep but just not sure what I can install on the image at what point in the process and when to capture.

Thanks,

Jim

52 Posts

Hello Jim,

ImageAssist is a locally used tool. You will install the OS on a system or VM and add your apps to the image that can be installed before sysprep runs and do not add drivers. For apps that need to be installed post sysprep, like VNC, anti virus or encryption software, you can copy the files over, just not install them yet.  Then install the IA tool set and run "guide me". It will step you through the entire process including the unattend.xml creator. That is where you will add the script or scripts to install the post sysprep apps. In the runonce section at the bottom of the page. I always set the autoadmin login to 1 and do a reboot at the end of the script. Also please build the usb deployment key to test your scripts work by deploying your image. Hope this helps...TK

Hello Jim,

ImageAssist runs typically the same, it's just not a cloud based solution like ImageDirect was. With ImageAssist, your refrence build is mainly your base Windows Image with nothing installed. It's there so you don't have to go through an entire reinstall of the OS if something fails. Once you have your refrence image, you can begin with your maintenance image. I placed a link to better illustrate the difference.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/f/4916/t/19640427

Below are some more links with instructional videos and documentation to get you more familiar with the tool:

Feel free to either call or email us with any assistance needed or questions you may have.

us_osimaging@dell.com

866-340-0541

2 Posts

October 6th, 2016 08:00

Thanks ... so I can copy my post OS install exe's in a directory on the Maintenance Image and then point to that directory in the runonce options in the unattend.xml.

Sound logical ...

Thanks

No Events found!