Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2016 15:00

ImageAssist: How to download your Dell OEM Windows ISO

NOTE Prerequisite:  A valid service tag with entitlement to the preferred Windows OS.  .e.g If looking for Windows 10, then the service tag must show sold with Windows 10. 

1. Go to:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/OSISO
  2. Input valid Service Tag & Verification Code then click Submit.
  3. Click the link to Download the recovery image.

After you download the Windows recovery image file, follow the instructions below to create a bootable USB drive or DVD.

24 Posts

December 18th, 2017 12:00

Don't know how to do a friend request on this forum. I do not use any social media apps.

24 Posts

1. Operating System is not in the Drivers Category Drop Down list

2. The Dell OS Recovery tool does not work.

Here is what I get every time on any system.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

@Dcol,

I will work with you on that specific question. Please send me a friend request with a couple of example service tags and I'll go to work.

14 Posts

December 27th, 2017 15:00

I mirror the sentiments of the community. 

I own a year old Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559

and every time I try to create recovery media, it tells me "No OS images for this tag, though images exist for this product".

This product SHIPPED WITH WINDOWS 10. I am attempting to create a recovery media from the original windows 10 installation. I have searched Dell's driver site for "Operating system" download with no luck as the category does not exist. Now before my HDD decides to die on me as it's a cheap Seagate, how do I back up my OS so I don't have to fork out more money to Dell for the installation media? 

1 Message

December 31st, 2017 22:00

I have an Inspiron 15R 5520 that crashed its HDD and I am trying to restore it.  It came with Windows 7 Home Premium and there is no OS download link available.  And when I take another working laptop and go to the OS Recovery Tool page I download a "USB Recover Tool" program that looks nothing like the screen shots shown on that web page and the program immediately generates an error and exits.  I've spent hours trying to find an ISO to download (Microsoft has removed them all, and their only legit site generates an error with the Dell product code in my battery compartment, then tells me to contact Dell).

Please help.  All I want to do is replace the drive with a new one and do a complete reinstall.

Thanks,

Keith

24 Posts

January 1st, 2018 09:00

The only way I have been able to get the USB recovery tool to work is in 'Safe Mode w/networking'

Even a fresh install of windows with no added programs does not work in 'Normal Mode'.

January 1st, 2018 10:00

Hey, steps you mentioned are wrong, I am also facing same issue. No OS image find for my Dell Precision 3600, which is Windows 7 Professional. Even I download dell OS recovery manager but getting error No Image defined for product. Appreciate is dell can provide quick solution for this.

14 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 05:00

For now, what I recommend doing is using microsoft's back up recovery creator. Unfortunately, you will not receive every single driver for your hardware initially, but you will at least have access to them on Dell's website, which you can simply download in bulk. If you require your MS key, call Dell as they are required to give that to you if there's an error with the key inside the battery compartment.

As far as Dell goes, chalk another one up to their stellar, outsourced Bangladesh customer service. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if you really want to send this corp a message. Years ago Gateway PC was floored for similar shady practices, so this entity is not immune either.  

1 Message

January 11th, 2018 20:00

Hello all, I had this same problem with an **bleep** laptop. Windows did not boot and the recovery tool (F8) didn't work. After some time trying I realized I wasn't going to get an OS image from Dell. So, what I did was get Ubuntu on a flash drive and boot from there, backing up the data in the HDD to a removable drive. Then I mounted the Recovery partition. I searched for WIM files and somewhere there's a Recovery.WIM file if I remember correctly. On another usb drive I got wimtools and its dependencies and installed them on Ubuntu. Then I ran mkntfs on the Windows partition that was not booting, and then ran wimapply. That got me Windows again as it came with the computer.

Wimtools runs on Windows too, so perhaps there's a way to run it from a bootable Windows drive, but I don't know.

15 Posts

May 5th, 2018 14:00

Hi there!

In my case, I had to replace the motherboard of an Inspiron 15 5000 series with 6 months of use.

I thought doing the installation using the recovery image part allocated in the Recovery Partition HDD. Reading DELL support, I arrived to this tool, Dell OS Recovery Tool. I didn't know it exists.

The "problem" is that I have 2 images and I don't know which one is the latest. Maybe the bigger one? Why I have two images? Because the the motherboard replacement?

Thank you!

2018-05-05_18-41-32.jpg

3 Posts

December 10th, 2018 12:00

The drivers download section has no category "Operating System" -- what is the updated method.  My ServiceTag is says "no os images for the tag..."

December 10th, 2018 23:00

The best thing for you is to contact your local support from support.dell.com and report such an issue, they will help you with that.

December 10th, 2018 23:00

Hello Gonzalo, I'm sorry we haven't replied to you before and more likely you have installed your OS already. You can report the problem to your local support from https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/us/en/19/contactus/Dynamic they should create a ticket and fix it.

1 Message

March 25th, 2019 13:00

Hi, I have a problem with the recovery tool. I downloaded and placed the image as instructed on the usb device but when i try to install the WIndows 7 OS on my laptop, after loading the windows files, choosing the language and clicking on "Install", it says that the drivers can not be found and that i should ensure that the are contained on the installation medium. I already created the image on the USB device 2 times, did not work. How can i proceed? Remark: Copying the OS onto the stick (via tool) takes quite long showing 0 seconds remaining (quite a few minutes). Maybe that fact can help analysing the problem.

March 26th, 2019 01:00

Hello,

Contact your local technical support and they should help you with that issue.

No Events found!