Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

June 12th, 2019 11:00

Windows 10 1903 Black Screen

I have created new images using the new Windows 10 1903 update on Hyper-V. After creating the image and deploying it to machines, they tend to give a black screen where the lock screen should be (sometimes with a mouse, other times not). The monitor is getting signal as displayed by the indicator, but I cannot do anything. This typically happens right after Windows set up and occasionally when the screen locks or the system is restarted. I have updated the family driver packs that couple with the image during deployment as well. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm at a loss.

1 Message

June 13th, 2019 04:00

Yes.  I have the same issue and have not found a good work around other than rebooting. Highly annoying!!!

52 Posts

June 13th, 2019 05:00

The 1903 version was released then pulled back several times for issues. After final release, the OEMs have 3 months to get drivers prepared for the version. Driver packs for 1903 are not complete as of yet. I'm told they should be posted in a few weeks. Until then, there might be some issues with how 1903 behaves on some systems. When we release the driver packs on the ImageAssist site, you still have issues, please contact the ImageAssist Support desk and open a trouble ticket.

August 1st, 2019 05:00

August 1st (19-08), 5 months after release and this is still an issue. Testing on VM and the image works perfect. Test on Optiplex 3060 and it boots to black screen. Just checked for updated driver, tool says their aren't any. Do we have to rebuild our Image to 1809 or do you have an updated driver we can use?

52 Posts

August 1st, 2019 10:00

For the OptiPlex 3060, please use the "OptiPlex D9 Rev A08" driver pack. The site still says it is for 1809, but the driver pack is correct. If this does not work, please contact the ImageAssist support desk and log an issue. thx....TK

2 Posts

August 1st, 2019 13:00

There is a possibility that the image got corrupted on the capturing process. 

Was the image created to "automatically joint the domain" on the unattended XML form? If yes, try capturing set up as workgroup.

The best practice is to build a new virtual machine on Hyper V applying the following settings.

Note: If using Windows 10 Pro or Education, download a free ISO from Windows Media Creation tool. Do not update the OS via automatic updates.   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Do not update the OS via automatic updates to avoid Sysprep issues.    

1. Launch Hyper-V Manager and on the top Main Menu>New>Virtual Machine>Next
  2. Name your VM and save in a specific folder
  3. Specify Generation: Generation 2
  4. Assign Memory: Depends on the computer’s memory capacity but the minimum is 2 gigabytes            Note: On 8 gigabytes memory: Best performance setting is 3 gigabytes (3072 kb). If 10 Gig or higher computer memory, on VM, enter memory size avoiding VM freeze/crash or slowing down of your host computer.
  5. Dynamic Memory: Uncheck
  6. Configure Networking: Not connected (do not enable) You can turn on after the virtual machine is created and Windows 10 automatic updates are disabled-stop.
  7. Connect Virtual Hard Disk: Create a Virtual Hard Disk (For small size Images try 80 Gig HD size or as needed)
  8. Install an Operating System from a bootable Image File: Browse to your OS media.
  9. Finish

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional configuration after VM creation and before Operating system Installation

1. Click to highlight the Virtual Machine’s name. Under the bottom right pane>Your “Virtual machine name”>Click settings> (New windows will open)
  2. On the left upper pane-Hardware>
  3. Security: Disable Secure Boot (uncheck)
  4. Processors: 2 cores
  5. On the left bottom pane-Management> click, Integrations Service> place a checkmark on Guest Services> Ok.
  6. Follow the provided Power Pont presentation for additional configurations for How to make the host computer’s HD visible in your Hyper-V.
  7. Install the operating system. Note: Once the Operating System is installed, immediately disable Windows 10 Automatic updates to avoid the OS update via the internet.
  8. Install ImageAssist, capture and deploy for testing purposes. Note: Capture an image without adding additional applications and deploy to verify functionality and compatibility.

To avoid image corruption:

1. Do not remote control into the Hyper via other sources like a server connection, or desktop remote. Control the virtual machine It directly from the host computer
  2. If Windows 10 was updated via automatic windows updates, or a windows upgrade mas made, SysPrep may fail or freeze the capturing process by packages or applications.
  3. In the capturing process, make sure there is no local network connection. The VM needs to be isolated from external resources.

August 2nd, 2019 01:00

Thanks Santos. Yes it's set to join the domain. We need all the machines to join the domain automatically. When tested, the image does join the domain successfully, but it just sits at a black screen. When deploying the image on a VM, it works flawlessly which leads me to believe it's something with the driver/hardware. Yes, we are using win10_optiplex d9_a08 driver pack.

1 Message

August 20th, 2019 07:00

We have the same issue with latitude 7490 and 7300. with the dell driver pack, i get the issue.

if i deploy the image with no drivers, so windows installs what it can, i dont get the error.

on the 7490, i installed it and the ran the dell command update, and the grapped the drivers, then i could use the drivers for deployment, but it is not the case for the 7300.

August 28th, 2019 13:00

August 30th, 2019 10:00

After a lot of trial and error I found that removing both Intel Corporation SCSIAdapter iaStorAC.inf 17.0.0.1072 and Intel Corporation SCSIAdapter iaStorAC.inf 17.2.4.1011 from the driver pack eliminated the black screen issue on a Dell 7300

2 Posts

September 27th, 2019 03:00

Thanks ED_The_Dog.

Was able to test this with some models I have here and same issues on the following:

Intel Corporation SCSIAdapter iaStorAC.inf 17.2.6.1027

Intel Corporation SCSIAdapter iaStorAC.inf 17.0.2.1076

The following driver WORKS:

Intel Corporation SCSIAdapter iaStorAC.inf 17.2.7.1028

No Events found!