Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

October 25th, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 5675, black screen after Ryzen 5 1600 upgrade

A couple of months ago I upgraded my GPU from a RX 560 to a GTX 1660 with no issues.

Recently I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 to replace my current Ryzen 3 1200. After I switched them out in my motherboard and tried to turn on my pc it all booted up as normal but the screen just stays black. I have tried putting my Ryzen 3 back in and it works fine and when i reinstall my ryzen 5 its still a black screen.

I am not sure what is causing the issue so any help on the situation would be appreciated 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 25th, 2019 13:00

Sure the motherboard is fully compatible with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU?

What happens if you reboot and immediately tap F2? Can you see BIOS setup open?

How do you say it booted up "as normal" if the screen is black?

Are you going to have to reinstall Windows to work with the new CPU?

Did you get a bum CPU...?

October 25th, 2019 13:00

When the Ryzen 5 is in, the screen is just black and nothing happens.

However when i put the Ryzen 3 back in everything is working as normal so I think the CPU may be faulty?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 25th, 2019 16:00

What version of BIOS is installed?

Have you tried tapping F2 immediately after powering on to open BIOS setup, or tapping F12 to open the boot menu when the Ryzen 5 is installed? You need to try this to see if this is a hardware (CPU) issue or a software issue.

And try clearing BIOS after you install the Ryzen 5:

1. With PC off and unplugged, remove motherboard battery
  2. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  3. Make sure Ryzen 5 is properly installed with no bent pins, and with thermal paste and correctly installed heat sink
  4. Reinstall the battery
  5. Close up and boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached

If none of that helps, then you may have a bum CPU...

1 Message

March 11th, 2020 15:00

Hi there @RoHe I'm having a similar issue with my inspiron 5675. Mine differs as some of the pins to my ryzen 3 got bent whilst removing it so I can't use it to resolve the issue.

I believe my motherboard just needs a BIOS update to support all functions of the ryzen 5 but my monitor won't/can't receive the output -it seems- but my keyboard and mouse register when it is booted up.
I only tried to open the BIOS setup once as I thought there would be no point if the signal wasn't getting to the monitor to see it but I have very limited experience/knowledge of the inner workings so let me know if I should give that another try! 
I have a monitor connected through a HDMI port and although it could be a silly question to someone in the know, would swapping to a different lower resolution,VGA connected monitor allow the output through so that I can then download the update etc?

If not, is there a way to update the BIOS that doesn't involve buying an older processor just for that purpose? (no USB flashback port)

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 11th, 2020 16:00

@MysteryMOE  - Exactly which Ryzen 5?

I see threads saying Ryzen 5 2600 and other 2nd gen Ryzen will not work in an Inspiron 5675. So if you got a 2nd gen Ryzen you're probably out of luck... A 1st gen Ryzen 7 apparently will work.

The last BIOS update for the 5675 was released in Mar'18. So if threads from late '18 say a 2nd gen Ryzen won't work and there hasn't been a BIOS update in the last two years...

Even when a BIOS update adds compatibility for some new CPUs, without a working and currently supported CPU installed, there's no way to update BIOS... That's why when doing CPU upgrades, you should do the BIOS update first...

No Events found!