Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 11th, 2018 04:00

Dell Inspiron hangs after using the internet for some time

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 installed.

On connecting to the internet for e.g. a banking site or watching videos on youtube, or browsing products on Amazon, in a few minutes, the system hangs.

I get an 'Entering Power Saver Mode' message, then the screen goes blank, the hard disk light keeps blinking continuously. I then have to restart the computer.

This happens in Edge as a well as Chrome.

All diagnostics show NO errors in hardware or software except few hard disk bad sectors.

I have Windows Defender installed and all is green.

Please help!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 11th, 2018 08:00

Hard disk errors are a big deal. It usually indicates your drive is about to fail. You should buy a new hard drive and make copies of your personal files on removable media. Backup the failing drive and make a System Image too.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 11th, 2018 14:00

Exactly which Inspiron model do you have?

Does this only happen when you're working on the internet? What about watching a video that's saved on your hard drive, or using some intensive software, eg Photoshop, etc?

If the monitor is going into power saving mode, it's possible something is overheating, eg, the video card. Make sure all fans are working and clean out all the dust bunnies inside the PC and in the air vents using canned air. Then carefully reseat all PCI-e cards, including video, and RAM modules in their slots.

And look in the Windows Event Viewer to see if any error message(s) is logged around the time that it froze which might point you in the right direction...

No Events found!