Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2018 23:00

Dimension 8400: How many PCI Express slots?

First, I had to Choose "Desktop Media Galleries" because there was no Dimension series on the "Select Location" list.  

I have the Dimension 8400 . Page 108 in the owners manual says that it has an pci-e x16 slot and one pci-e x1 slot. The ATI Radeon X300 video card is in the x16 slot.

Is the pci-e x1 slot the very small black colored slot located right near the edge of the motherboard?

If yes, I want to install this card.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124107

Will I have any trouble doing so and running this card?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 8th, 2018 12:00

You may not be able to see the image fireberd posted (I can't see it), so look at page 71 in the manual for the location of the PCI-e x1 port.

And as long as you're running Windows 7, Vista, or Windows XP on the D8400.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2018 03:00

Here's the picture of the motherboard and the location of the PCIe slot. 

From what I see, the FireWire card requires a power connection, that you may or may not have.  Or may have to get a "splitter" so you can feed two different devices from one power connection.

I have a similar FireWire card (with T.I. chipset) in my desktop for my recording studio.

8400.JPG

33 Posts

March 8th, 2018 19:00

Thanks guys. Yes, the PCI-e slot is that tiny black one on the far end of the board. And I did need to get a 6" power extender cable to get bus power to the card to power my portable HDD. Mission accomplished; got all my data backed up off that drive. Too bad that USB and Firewire formats are not data sharing compatible. No adapters that I've ever found, at least not cost-effective ones.

No Events found!