Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 20th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 3477 AIO, slow

Hi,

Why is it that I upgraded from my 10 yr old Inspiron 2310 to a Dell 3477 AIO only to find out that

the new Dell is as slow as computers I had 15 yrs ago. Freezes, goes blank, slow to load, does not

like Opera Browser, so over all not a happy customer. Takes well over a minute to load Dell Assist if

at all. So can any one please advise how this can be rectified or replaced under warranty. Incidentally 

why I got it was because my previous Dell was an excellent product. Go figure.

LenV

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 11:00

I'd try disabling all the unnecessary junk that loads in the background during normal boot, including SupportAssist, Dell Update, Adobe, etc, etc. You can find them listed on the Startup tab in Task Manager.

Just don't disable your anti-malware suite (eg, Windows Defender or whichever you have) or important things like a video card control panel etc...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2018 11:00

Hopefully, you have a bootable C: SSD in there. If not already, I suggest you do that now.

If machine passes ePSA, go ahead and Nuke-and-Pave it and install a fresh/clean copy of Windows-64bit on the SSD.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/fixed/td-p/5627124

and/or

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2018 14:00

HI RoHe,

Thanks for the advise, How to Geek  has the same advise to reinstall Windows 10 to get rid of all the Dell add-ons that slow down the running of the computer. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2018 19:00

Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling Windows, first try disabling as much of the junk as possible...

1 Message

June 26th, 2018 08:00

I JUST GOT MY NEW INSPIRON 3477 to use with my Inspiron 20-3000. I think the problem is the Dell company itself, which treats me like a street beggar. My new computer  is not comparable to my old one---though I paid $300 more for it. It will not run SUPPORT/ASSIST, the Indians on the help line will not help---BUT MY BIGGEST BEEF is that my 20-3000 is battery powered & unaffected by our frequent power outages. My new one crashes each time the power flickers. DELL MAKES NO MENTION OF THE FACT THAT THEIR NEW PRODUCTS ARE DOWNGRADED FROM THERE OLD ONES & PROVIDES ZERO SUPPORT.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 26th, 2018 10:00

@WTFAJS wrote:

I JUST GOT MY NEW INSPIRON 3477 to use with my Inspiron 20-3000. I think the problem is the Dell company itself, which treats me like a street beggar. My new computer  is not comparable to my old one---though I paid $300 more for it. It will not run SUPPORT/ASSIST, the Indians on the help line will not help---BUT MY BIGGEST BEEF is that my 20-3000 is battery powered & unaffected by our frequent power outages. My new one crashes each time the power flickers. DELL MAKES NO MENTION OF THE FACT THAT THEIR NEW PRODUCTS ARE DOWNGRADED FROM THERE OLD ONES & PROVIDES ZERO SUPPORT.

This is mainly a user-to-user forum so ranting here won't help solve your issues...

Lots of users have reported issues with SupportAssist after one of Microsoft's recent updates. Log into an account with Admin privileges and uninstall SupportAssist . Then reboot and download/install the latest version of SupportAssist.

How can you blame Dell for your frequent power outages? Why don't you complain to your power company? Suggest you get an uninterruptable power supply with built-in surge protector for the 3477.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2019 21:00

Hi, Here I am exactly a year later with still the same problems, only getting worse. Have decided after just loading a clean  Windows 10 with no improvements to get a Crucial memory & a SSD upgrade,  the hard drive that came with the computer is a ST model that is discontinued evidently, will see if this will make it work properly! LenV

August 27th, 2019 23:00

I had the same issue. Dell tech support did exactly that. It's still a bit slow though. I have 4gb of RAM and Dell have now said that I need more, coz of W10's greed.

• 

17K Posts

August 28th, 2019 09:00

Richard in Aus,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

• 

17K Posts

August 29th, 2019 10:00

Richard in Aus,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

1 Message

June 14th, 2020 06:00

I too have been a loyal Dell customer over the last 20+ years. I have always loved their products. Last year I purchased a AIO 3277 with 4 g ram I believe a 2.3 Ghz machine 

As I run it I cant believe it runs about the same speed as the machines back in the first days of windows.

I click on anything mail or internet or a word doc and literally it takes 20+ seconds to load. I have read some of the solution posts but really is this something I should have to do with a brand new machine?

I am purchasing a dell inspiron 17 7000 with 16 gig ram and if it does this I will return it and go to an hp or some other machine.  Just curious as I have not been watching did Dell get sold to someone else?

Not trying to complain I just am extremely disappointed

I am not tech savy enough to do half the things I have seen suggested

Thanks, Ironman52    68 yrs old and struggling to keep up with the computer world

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 14th, 2020 12:00

@ironman52   - 4 GB is just too little RAM for Windows 10. You want at least 8 GB or more. And if it has a  Core i3 processor, that can also contribute to poor performance.

First thing is to see how much "junk" is loading and running in the background. You can look on the Startup tab in Task Manager. Google the names, if you don't know what each item is, but make sure you don't disable anything essential, like your anti-viral app, sound and video support...

Adding RAM would be an easy upgrade that should certainly help with performance. The 3477 AIO can support up to 32 GB of RAM, so maybe you -or a geeky friend- can upgrade it to 2x 8 GB or 2x 16 GB. Crucial has 2x 8 for ~$70 and 2x 16 for ~$140, and they guarantee it will work or they take it back.

Instructions to remove/install RAM are in the Service Manual.

Good luck!

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 23:00

I am facing the same issue. is there a permanent solution for this?

the computer came with 4GB RAM

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 24th, 2020 10:00

@VimSingh   Always include PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

If you only have 4 GB of RAM with Win 10, the first thing would be to upgrade to at least 8 GB, or more, depending on how much RAM your PC supports and your budget.

Have you scanned thoroughly for malware lately, and stopped any unnecessary junk from loading/running in the background?

3 Posts

August 24th, 2020 21:00

Thanks Ron. I have Inspiron 3477 AIO, Windows 10 Home 64-bit with 4GB RAM, Processor i3 7th Gen I have ran the diagnostics and cleaned up the start up apps(reduced to almost none). Not much helpful. The system hangs on clicking different windows. I think the slowness/hung state inscreases few minutes after the starting the system. The memory usage remains above 70% for most of the time even when using normal internet.
No Events found!