Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2019 11:00

Inspiron 3847, audio not working

My audio stopped working on my dell Inspiron 3847 desktop after a pc reboot and i was planning on formatting my hard drive beforehand anyway so I went ahead and formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10 onto it. This was my upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and when I get on windows 10 my Steelseries Arctis 3 headphones were still not being detected. On windows 10 I started downloading the proper drivers for my Insprion and I tried about 5 different drivers and none of them worked.  Some youtube videos said to uninstall the realtek drivers from device manager and then restart my computer and i tried that and it didnt work. Someone told me that chipset and motherboard drivers might be the problems so i downloaded supportassist and then it downloaded my drivers for me. When the drivers were installed i restarted my pc then started getting BSOD so i just formatted my hdd again and went back onto windows 7. Here i am on windows 7 again and my audio is still not working. I have checked my bios and it start my front panel audio connectors are plugged and that my sound card is enabled. I tried a pair of earbuds and that did not work either so at this point i dont know what to do.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 1st, 2019 09:00

I'm now leaning toward a hardware problem with the sound chip.  

Next step would be to use a USB connected sound card.  These are relatively inexpensive and should give you audio.  Much cheaper than replacing the motherboard.

Here is an inexpensive one.  If you need more than this offers you can get a more feature one after trying this one (or a similar one).

CLICK ME

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 30th, 2019 15:00

Realtek is the proper sound driver and Dell supports Win 10 on this model.

However, I've also found Windows does not always setup the proper sound items.  You need to set the "Speakers' as the default playback device and you need to set "Stereo Mix" as the default Recording device.   I just upgraded my Win 10 to the new 1903 version and had to reset them both as I wasn't getting any sound.

Steel Series from what I remember is USB.  USB devices do not use the PC sound card so there has to be another issue with them. Is there a driver that needs to be installed?

Finally, If you are connected to the internet when you install Win 10 it will install most, if not all, the needed hardware drivers.   I would give Win 10 another shot.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2019 16:00

Yes I did leave out some details. I tried Realtek audio drivers from Dell's website for my pc and those did work and i also tried the latest drivers on Realtek's website. I have speakers In my playback but they just say "Not plugged in". I have a Steelseries Arctis # which uses The normal Headphone jack and then i use a headphone splitter to split my mic and headset. Yes I have tried the single headphone jack and that does work either.

And I downloaded Steelseries headphone drivers when I first got the Headset and they said they didnt have support for my type of headphones.

Also when I first downloaded Windows 7 onto this PC a few months back windows 7's sound automatically worked so I dont know the issue.

12 Posts

June 30th, 2019 19:00

Im on Windows 10. Windows installed a lot of drivers for me but my audio still was not working so i went on dells website and downloaded the Realtek drivers and my audio is still not working and saying I dont have a device plugged in. This has been going on for about 3 days and im pulling my hair out over it. Whatever i need to buy ill buy I just need my audio back.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 1st, 2019 03:00

Is the "Speakers" set as the default audio playback device?   

What is listed in the Device Manager for the Sound, Video and Game Controller Section?

Get the speakers working first and then we can work on the front panel headset issue.  One step at a time.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 1st, 2019 03:00

Support Assist has many malware laced versions sittng out there.

The OEM Driver should ONLY Be downloaded from dell.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/inspiron-3847-desktop.html

Chipset Driver should be done BEFORE audio driver.

DescriptionSupported OSDownload
Intel Chipset Device Driver
This package provides the driver for the Intel Chipset Device and is supported on the Inspiron 3000/3646/20 Model 3048 Series and Vostro 280/3800/3900/3900G/3902/3015 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 10More details
WT64A

DescriptionSupported OSDownload
RealTek ALC3600/3661 High-Definition Audio Driver
This package provides the driver for RealTek ALC3600/3661 High-Definition Audio and is supported on the Inspiron 3000/3646/20 Model 3048 Series and Vostro 280/3800/3900/3900G/3902/3015 Series running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 10More details
WT64A

12 Posts

July 1st, 2019 06:00

Hello, fireberd. I see Speaker, and 6 AMD HDMI Audio drivers in my playback devices and speakers appear as "
Unplugged". If I click on speakers the only thing I can do with them is go to my properties but I am unable to set them as my default device.

12 Posts

Thanks for that, speedstep, I uninstalled the current realtek audio drivers before I installed the chipset drivers and then the chipset drivers and the chipset drivers installed succesfully so I downloaded the Realtek Drivers you linked and no change happened. ::Sad::Huh?:

12 Posts

I apologize, In The sound, video and game controllers I see AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio. And yes I have the green cord on my headset plugged into The jack that is labeled as a Headset on my case.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

How about the Device Manager list that I asked for?  

Next suggestion is to do a CMOS (BIOS) reset.  If there is some kind of corruption (that's not evident) this MAY fix it.  With the PC powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 coin cell battery located on the motherboard for at least 10 minutes.  Reinstall the battery, observing polarity.  Close the case, power on and see if anything has changed.

Finally, I assume you have PC speakers plugged into the rear GREEN speaker jack?

12 Posts

July 1st, 2019 07:00

Let the bios chip sit on my desk for 25 minutes, still no audio.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Then you don't actually have speakers.   Plug the headset into the GREEN speaker jack on the rear and see if the PC will now allow you to set the Speakers as the default playback device.

12 Posts

I plugged it into the Back and its still that theres nothing plugged in. I ran the troubleshooter it asks which device Id like to troubleshoot and It was plugged in to the green headphone jack on the computer I troubleshooted that and it said It appears theres nothing plugged in.

12 Posts

July 1st, 2019 10:00

Thanks for letting me know, Im going to order one soon. By the way I ran a dell diagnostics test on my sound card and it failed.

EDIT: Do these adapters sacrifice sound quality?

No Events found!