Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 3847, no boot, no driver access for recovery

No Boot Inspiron 3847 Service Tag

No access to DVD or Flash Drive for recovery data not recognised

Have changed Boot order but does not appear to be changing to DVD or USB from HDD

Have tried 3 different recovery formats but all to no avail

Changed EUFI to Legacy no change

Removed battery - recognised but no change

F9 defaults but no change

Believe Hard Drive is OK

Would appreciate some assistance

David G

11 Posts

June 30th, 2018 19:00

Computer Repair from No Boot:
A long story.

In my hand is a piece of paper with the new  DELL Computer I have just discussed with my Wife to buy at $589 but intend doing a few final tests with the downed unit.

Changed from UEFI to Legacy but had done this many times earlier.
Used my Windows 7 CD to attempt a reboot and received a Windows colour Logo with a 'Starting Windows' but that was all there was after waiting 30 mins.
Used my old XP HDD and did get a page of black screen //C: System 32 drivers being downloaded with a 'please wait' at the end which also led to nothing after another 30 mins.
Had done this many times earlier and received an error message to say that something wasn't quite normal and the Computer would be closed down to prevent damage.

Changed the Monitor to an older unit and with the original HDD back in cicuit and nothing in the Driver ports or CD, the Computer booted back to normal.
A little later I loaded in the new Monitor Driver and swapped it into the system without switching off the Computer to do so without problems and finally Mum now has her larger Monitor.

In reviewing the entire most frustrating 23 day event, I have come to a conclusion that the 'no boot' was caused by my Son replacing the existing Monitor with a larger one at the request of my Wife with the Computer powered down.
What I believe has happened here is that, as there was no Driver for the Monitor (a Dell S2009WB), when switched back on the Computer went looking for a Driver and at this point, got itself into a loop which it never recovered from and my efforts to revive have somehow been successful due probably to the Driver downloads I witnessed in the System32 when I had my old XP HDD attached.
Nothing happenened when I did this earlier but the Windows 7 recovery disc may have also contributed in reviving the system.

The problem with my Windows 7 Dell Inspiron 620 remains where I am unable to make a boot USB and nothing on the INet has helped solve that problem.
I have done a full Driver update and run my security program without a solution.
Windows still have their problem to address with the 17 page recovery program error.

In summary, if you intend changing your Monitor, do so with the Computer active and also ensure that the correct Driver is installed in system32/drivers.

What I would like to see now is for a paid Dell support employee to come on line and tell me what really happened to my Computer?

I really appreciate the unpaid help but Dell and Microsoft should both be here with professional assistance as any support from these people is really just a joke and their work is being done by unpaid others and this is so very wrong.

Time for change.

With all respect.

Thank you all for your assistance and after some 23 days, am really glad to have this machine back running with the larger Monitor and can only hope that others may also benefit from what has transpired here.

All the Best

David G

Smokey

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 19:00

You want UEFI and (most likely) AHCI.

Try F12 on boot.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

11 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 21:00

On checking - AHCI is SATA HDD and is set for this

David G

11 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 21:00

Thank You for responding.

Covered the F12 earlier with no change

No mention of AHCI on this machine

Diagnostics (twice) was 100% including HDD

Still no access to USB Stick or DVD

Didn't get anything worthwhile from your URL

David G

11 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 23:00

Further - Secure Boot is OFF and UEFI selected.

I do not get any option from where to Boot from using F12.

Have inserted both the recovery USB Stick and the DVD but still no access.

David G

11 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 23:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRvxBrwL0vA

That doesn't work because I am not able to access either the USB or DVD and I do not have an option anywhere to allow me to stipulate a boot device as an optional.

That IS still the problem.

David G

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 23rd, 2018 13:00

@angophera23 wrote:

Didn't get anything worthwhile from your URL

Wow, tough crowd. :Indifferent:

Just trying to let you know ... no extra drivers are required, so I suggest you look elsewhere. For example ... does the Windows-10 Bootable USB (that you created with only the Media Creation Tool) even boot on a different machine ?

Keeping SecureBoot off (during initial clean install) is a good thing to try ... but the Windows-10 ISO is "Authorized" so that extra step should not be required.

Also (not that you ultimately want it) but in Legacy-Mode as a test ... I can't imagine that not working. All boot options are then declared right there in BIOS.

If you think about it, there are various ways to test the various USB-Ports themselves (even outside of Windows). 

11 Posts

June 23rd, 2018 22:00

Thankyou.

Both USB and DVD checked much earlier for operation and both OK as was the HDD.

Legacy is not working on this machine.

Using the Dell OM_SMTD_740_A00 as the recovery tool as advised with an earlier search but tells me that it is an Image file and NTFS is required - this from a Laptop when I attempted to check whether it was good or not as per your suggestion.

Assuming now that the USB stick is the same and wrong format.

Why would anyone produce a file that is not acceptable to solve a problem it was supposedly designed to do?

Confused.

What does "Wow, tough crowd" mean?

David G

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 24th, 2018 13:00

I'm confused about what you're trying to do and why. Is the OS on a HDD or on an SSD? Do you have one drive for the OS and a separate drive for storage?  Are you trying to do a clean install of Win 10 or just a repair?  Does the PC boot normally from the HDD now? What does "data not recognized" mean?

Have you disconnected all other peripherals from PC except mouse, monitor and keyboard when trying to boot from USB or DVD?

Are you sure your USB stick  (or DVD) is bootable?  Are you connecting the USB stick to a USB2 port on the PC before you power on?  And are you pressing (but not holding) F12 immediately after powering on, where you should now find the option to boot from USB (or optical drive)? (Those options don't appear unless the stick or DVD is detected when PC powers on.)

Same approach using a bootable DVD. Put the DVD in the drawer and close it, then press power button (since PC had to be on to access the optical drive) to restart and immediately press F12.

EDITED

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2018 14:00

@angophera23 wrote:

Assuming now that the USB stick is the same and wrong format.

From the linked thread in my previously posted page:

Press F12 to boot (a recently created) Microsoft.com Windows-10 Media-Creation flash-drive.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It prepares the USB-FlashDrive for you. That's what you restore with.

Here is more info:

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Need-help-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10-on-new-Alienware-R7/m-p/6065386/highlight/true#M3167

11 Posts

June 25th, 2018 03:00

OK, spent the day in tail chasing.

Downloaded:

And after 5 attempts to transfer to an 8Gb USB stick and each time, either saying that Windows is unable to Format or that during verify an error appears - 0x80070005-0xA001A and when you go to Microsoft you see there are 17, repeat 17 pages of information from most frustrated individuals.

It takes me over two hours to download and verify that software as my best download rate is a miserly 5.3 mBs.

Two Computers have been tried to overcome this problem without success.

Their workaround works for about 1/3rd but the other 2/3rds, after 17 pages are still searching for an answer.

I am simply wasting my time here.

At this point I would like someone from Dell Support to come on line and send me a Boot USB stick that will get me out of this mess.

I did an iso download from Windows to put onto a CD/R but too small at only 4.7Gb when 8Gb is required.

I repeat that this is a standard Inspiron 3847 (only 4 years old) with only 1 HDD plus DVD and all testing has been done with all other unused USB ports removed and the bottom line is that it is failing to boot and all information available has been attempted without a hint of change.

Respectfully

David G

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 25th, 2018 13:00

@angophera23 wrote:

Downloaded:

And after 5 attempts to transfer to an 8Gb USB stick and each time, either saying that Windows is unable to Format or that during verify an error appears - 0x80070005-0xA001A

Strange. I've created many over the years (and different machines, USB Flash-drives, and versions) and I've never had a problem.

It's unclear if it's not downloading properly, or running into a flash-writing problem.

I suppose you could try section:
Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 
Pretty sure the Tool will verify the ISO file's checksum when done. But then, you have to know how to burn an ISO properly.

Did you at least make sure this machine passes ePSA first?

11 Posts

June 25th, 2018 17:00

Thankyou.

eSPA 100% on this machine, a Dell Inspiron 620 with Windows 7.

I read every line and after 17 pages was nothing but stunned by the incapacity of the Corps to come up with an honest solution to THEIR problems.

I even bought Easus Partition Manager for $A89 and even that fails to either Format a USB Stick and comes up with errors.

That by the way, was a route from one of the repair/recovery sources but again a tail chaser.

I began using Computers in 1972 via NASA Tidbinbilla DSN near Canberra and probably before you were born, I am 76 and a full time researcher in retirement.

My request remains, for Dell or Microsoft to send me the appropriate USB Stick so that I can Boot back to a normal system.

All of those with the failed Microsoft problem (0x80070005-0xA001A) with 17 pages should also receive that USB Stick.

I have spent two weeks of reading all that was available on this problem and many hours at the failed Computer itself with nothing but catch 22 cycles - it may work for some but 2/3rds still have the problem.

The fact that NO recovery device is provided in the purchase of a Microsoft OS is the problem here and it will cost me $A199 for Windows 10.

Bottom line here for me and probably many others is, that if don't receive a USB Boot Stick (that works) I will be demanding a replacement Computer.

Sincerely

David G

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 25th, 2018 22:00

@angophera23 wrote:

1. eSPA 100% on this machine, a Dell Inspiron 620 with Windows 7.

2. Bottom line here for me and probably many others is, that if don't receive a USB Boot Stick (that works) I will be demanding a replacement Computer.

1. Well that is something at least. It's not a 100% certification, but it's the first hurdle. I guess this is just one of the machines you tried to use to create the USB-Drive on. It should be run on the Inspiron-3847 also.

Still not sure why not being able to create it on an old Inspiron-620 is Dell's fault. Dell is not withholding anything. They just distribute Windows on the terms that Microsoft says. 

2. So, we are done? You have decided to just wait for that to happen?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 26th, 2018 09:00

Have you tried a different USB stick(s), perhaps one that's >8 GB...? 

No Events found!