Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 4th, 2018 22:00

Inspiron 5675, Bios update freeze

I was just requested to do a bios update on my brand new computer. I did the update and immediately after my computer began to freeze. Why is this occurring and why would dell push a bios update that is causing this ?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2018 03:00

Here is the Dell procedure to recover from a corrupted BIOS update (If that is really the problem).

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

You also have the option of calling Dell Support.  Only Dell Support can provide warranty support.

May 5th, 2018 09:00

Hey it is an Inspirion 5675 Amd ryzen 7. I believe it updates to bios 1.3.6, December 2017. I honestly don't remember what version was on prior to the update. I went to the dell driver page and installed a previous version of the BIOS, 1.3.5 November 2017. Would this be ok or is it better to recover?
Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2018 10:00

If the older BIOS works OK, I would just stay with that.  

Best option, from what I see, is to manually install a BIOS rather than let the Dell updater do it.  I've seen posts from others (not this model PC) with problems with the Dell updater but no problems manually installing.  Not everyone has problems installing BIOS' with the updater (It worked OK for my Inspiron 15 BIOS update).

May 5th, 2018 11:00

Ok thank you. So far the older version seems to be ok but we'll see. The frustrating thing is I had this same issue on another computer that I returned. At the time I wasn't sure what was wrong and I just exchanged it. I am now realizing it was the BIOS update. Is there any issue with just running an older version?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2018 11:00

Shouldn't be a problem.  The latest BIOS update is listed as "optional".   

2 Posts

April 15th, 2022 22:00

I just did the same thing tonight 4/15/2022  bio update said urgent but just bricked and trying to learn how to undo this?  I have the 1700x cpu and did not know if I should just buy a 5676 mobo and upgrade cpu later if that is an option but really just got this used computer and wanted to update drivers.  

2 Posts

April 15th, 2022 22:00

I just get a black screen on my dell 5675 bio failure and no sound, just blinking yellow power button.  does not even go that far as to get the Dell logo screen.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 16th, 2022 06:00

Here is a link to the various BIOS recovery procedures.  If lucky one of the procedures will recover the BIOS.

How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer or Tablet | Dell US

No Events found!