Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

February 1st, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 5675 (Gaming Desktop), non-responsive

I've noticed a few times that my Inspiron 5675 is non-responsive and I have to perform a hard boot. Based on the system log, this appears to happen after a Windows update, but I am not sure. The PC is running (fan is active, network jack is active) but the power button is dark, unlike when it is sleeping and flashes white.

Any ideas? I've run the normal diagnostics and have adjusted some power settings, including disabling USB selective suspend to see if it might be a USB keyboard/mouse issue.

The last event in the system log is from Service Control Manager Event ID 7040 (The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start.)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 13:00

Is this after one specific Windows update, or after every Windows update?

Did you turn off hibernation in the active Windows Power plan?

Did you open Device Manager and look at the Power Management tab for every USB root hub and make sure the box "Allow PC to turn off..." is not checked?

7 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 11:00

>Is this after one specific Windows update, or after every Windows update?

I am now not sure if it is update related or not. The PC was unresponsive again this morning. In last entries in the system log this time were 14 similar Event ID 16 entries that looked like this "The access history in hive was cleared updating X keys and created Y modified pages."

>Did you turn off hibernation in the active Windows Power plan?

I don't see any options for hibernation in the GUI advanced power settings. Just to be sure, I turned off hibernate via the command line "powercfg /h off" to see if that helps.

>Did you open Device Manager and look at the Power Management tab for every USB root hub and make sure the box "Allow PC to turn off..." is not checked?

There are two USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) listed in device manager. The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" was checked, so I unchecked on both to see if that helps.

Also, I'm not sure the PC was active on the network (wifi). When I tried to ping the PC, there was no response.

I plugged in Ethernet and a non-wireless USB keyboard to see if that helps if the PC is unresponsive again.

It appears to happen after 24-48+ hours of non-use.

7 Posts

February 10th, 2018 10:00

Desktop unresponsive continues. In this instance, the last system log entry was on 2/7/18. Event 19, WindowsUpdateClient, Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: 9WZDNCRFHVQM-microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps

The USB (non-wireless) keyboard was unable to wake the PC. The CD/DVD-ROM was working but had no affect when I put in a CD. The Ethernet port was active with lights, but ping to the IP addressed assigned did not respond.

This is annoying since I want to leave the PC on and not shutdown, but it appears it becomes unresponsive after some period of inactivity.

In reviewing the system log, there was an error on 2/6 and 2/5, Event 7023, Service Control Manager, The Interactive Services Detection service terminated with the following error: Incorrect function. Also on 2/5, Event 11, Disk, The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR140 and The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR141 at different times.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 12th, 2018 10:00

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for the option to run the diagnostics. Run the extended hard drive tests. They may take a long time so be patient. Copy error message(s) if any.

And then, if this system is still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for assistance...

7 Posts

February 13th, 2018 09:00

Ran the full diagnostics overnight and there were no errors.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 13th, 2018 11:00

Have you disabled Hybrid Sleep in Advanced Power Options in your active power plan?

If that doesn't help, suggest you contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

EDIT: Try disabling  PCI Express>Link State Power Management in the Advanced options too. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 13th, 2018 17:00

BTW: what color is the power button when it won't wake, and steady or blinking?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for a USB Wake Support option and make sure it's enabled. Unfortunately, the service manual doesn't list BIOS options for this model so this option may or not be available to you.

While in BIOS setup, look for Power options and try changing from the current setting to S3.

Don't change anything else in BIOS setup but be sure to save the changes -if any- you make to those 2 options.

7 Posts

February 13th, 2018 19:00

Power Button is dark when this occurs. It normally is after a day or so of inactivity, but occurred this evening when I came home and the desktop was active 14 hours prior.

USB Wake Support was already enabled.

I don't see any options for S3 but there are references to S4 and S5.

I was going to include a photo of the BIOS screen, but there doesn't seem to be a photo upload feature? Only a link to a already posted picture?

7 Posts

February 13th, 2018 19:00

I don't see an option to disable Hybrid Sleep in Advanced Power Options. PCI Express>Link State Power Management was set to Max Power Savings and is now set to Off. I'll see how that works.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 14th, 2018 12:00

The service manual says:

Power LED state: Off  =  Hibernate or suspend to disk (S4)

So this sounds like a Power plan and/or BIOS settings issue. You may have to play around with the various settings in the Power plan and BIOS to see if you can resolve this.

Unfortunately, this is Dell's new forum platform and -so far- it doesn't allow users (including me) to post images. :Ick:

3 Posts

April 6th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this issue?  I have the EXACT same issue with my 5675 and Dell tech support has been unable to fix the issue.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 6th, 2018 10:00

@Storm5mwrote:

Hi,

Did you ever resolve this issue?  I have the EXACT same issue with my 5675 and Dell tech support has been unable to fix the issue.

Thanks!

Might help if you tell us what you've already tried...

7 Posts

April 6th, 2018 11:00

I ended up doing a Windows "Reset this PC" and then reinstalled all the drivers and such from the AMD site. This seemed to have fixed the issue.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2018 11:00

I have updated all drivers, firmware and bios.  I have disabled sleep mode in power options, disabled fast start and reviewed the event logs.  I have the latest Windows updates.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for responding.

No Events found!