Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2021 22:00

Inspiron 5675/ SATA ports question.

Hello.  I have a Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop 5675 that I bought around 3 years ago. Processor (CPU): First generation AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor 3.4 GHz.  CPU Type OctalCore AMD Ryzen 7 1700, 3200 MHz (32 x 100),  Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 5675, Motherboard Chipset AMD X370, AMD Taishan, AMD K17 IMC.

By default, Internal hard drive SATA cable is in port 0. Port 1 for CD/DVD optical device, and then SATA 2, 3 and 4 ports on motherboard are empty. 

I would like to know if I could change my hard-drive's SATA cable and plug it into the port 2,3,or 4 permanently. I tried it but each time I changed ports, upon reboot, computer shot down. When I powered it on, all worked fine.

I just would like to permanently change the SATA port and need to know if it is okay to do.

I purchased 3 new hard drives over the period of 2 months and in SMART values I had errors drastically increasing in item 3, Spinup - times. It was advised to me to change a cable or use a different SATA port on motherboard.

Thank you kindly for any help and advise you might provide.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 31st, 2021 03:00

Best operation and standard is the system drive is in Port 0.  If you move it to another port you will have to reconfigure the BIOS to reflect where its at.  

But, reconfiguring for additional drives will not get you anything.  If they won't work on other ports they won't work any better on port 0.

If you had errors with the drives there is another problem, not the port.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2021 12:00

Reboot and tap F12 to open that menu. Select the option to run Diagnostics and run all of them. Copy error messages, if any.

If multiple HDDs are reporting spin up time issues, could this indicate a PSU problem?  You might try disconnecting the power cable from the optical drive and connecting it to the HDD, which is connected to the blue SATA data port on the motherboard.

BTW: When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

26 Posts

January 1st, 2022 13:00

Thank you very much for all the advice and possible solution. I will try to apply them.

I do appreciate your help.

Fred

No Events found!