Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 15th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron 5675 audio not working

I've been struggling for hours now to figure out why my audio won't work, looked through all available guides, done troubleshooting, and tried different devices to see if the result changed... Nothing has worked. Apparently no issues can be found even though a simple test of sound results in nothing being heard, I switched to headphones to see if it might be the speakers at fault but no it's the computer, and I also tried switching to different ports when plugging in the speakers.

Admittedly I'm not the best when it comes to troubleshooting a computer like this as it's my first desktop PC in over 10 years or more now so I'm a little lost on what to do next after scouring the internet for answers and coming across nothing of use. Must say the most frustrating part so far has been posts I've seen where people suggest checking the sound isn't muted because yes of course I checked and yes I also tried turning it off and again already too! Like being on the IT crowd except it's no longer funny!

Can someone please give some useful advice on what to do next? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 15th, 2018 06:00

First thought.  Are you using an HDMI connected monitor?  If there is a cable connected to the HDMI port Windows will automatically switch the sound playback to HDMI and thus the speakers will not work. If this is the case, go to the Device Manager, Sound, Video and Game Controllers section and disable the HDMI Audio (May be labeled Intel Display Audio, some HD audio, etc).  Check the Sound Panel, Playback section.  The "Speakers" (your PC audio) should be set as the default playback device. 

About all I can offer with the limited problem report

Sorry, I can't post screenshots due to a yet to be corrected forum bug.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 15th, 2018 10:00

@ColleenJacksonwrote:

Must say the most frustrating part so far has been posts I've seen where people suggest checking the sound isn't muted because yes of course I checked and yes I also tried turning it off and again already too!

Were they even posting to you directly?

Or maybe to someone else ... who found that helpful because they didn't know the option existed and their kids accidentally clicked it?

Don't get frustrated. Just search through the info and methodically troubleshoot the problem.

And you mentioned Headphones ... well USB-Headphones have a better chance of working because they come with their own "sound-card" built-in and even their own drivers.

Also, there are two different kinds of analog-headphones (the ones with the 1/8-inch jacks).

88 Posts

April 16th, 2018 09:00

I too am new to the audio over the video card stuff.  If you go to the task tray of your machine and right button click on the speaker you should get a drop down, go to playback devices and see what is selected there try other options.  I think what was said about windows preferring the audio from the video card is probably the issue.  A wireless headset with a dongle makes it's own sound card on the system and should automatically prefer the headset dongle (mine always does).  The audio over the hdmi cable sounds good to me but the problem is if you turn the monitor off you won't have sound, haven't seen a monitor yet that will continue the sound if the screen is turn off at the power button.  I've taken to using the freebie lights off in the windows store to black out the monitor but keep the sound on.  I don't think burn is quite the problem it used to be but if you're trying to sleep and just listen to music you don't want that screen lit up in a dark room.

No Events found!