Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 13:00

Inspiron 620 Won't Load Windows (Again)

Back in January I had an issue which I thought I was done with, but it has returned, and it's more stubborn than ever. The system won't load Windows. It goes through POST with no errors, brings up the Windows logo but hangs before the dots start rotating.

I've done, and redone, all the things suggested from that earlier issue. Nothing I've done so far gets Windows to load. In the interim, while the system was working, I ran the Dell SupportAssist Hardware Checkup and the Diagnostics from the F12 Boot Menu. No issues were reported in either. I also ran a couple of system images which I've got on a portable HDD.

My current situation is like before. After the computer successfully completes POST, it goes to the Windows logo, but hangs prior to the rotating dots. It exhibits the same behavior when I try to Boot into Recovery from a DVD or a USB. I even created a Bootable Windows USB using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, and it hangs the same way. Is there any way to boot directly from a system image without going into Recovery Mode first?

Anybody got any ideas of how I might get into Recovery to Reset or Reinstall Windows? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2018 14:00

I've seen a system with Intel on-board graphics, but also old-style AMD-Switchable Graphics do something like this. It was random. However, another cold-boot always fixed it.

Since it does it from the boot-flashes, then I guess it's not HDD corruption (or rules-it-out).

Sounds like you might have yourself a motherboard-problem. It's not as rare as you might think (especially now-days ... with everything, not just computers).  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2018 15:00

@shelquiswrote:

1. This unit does have Intel graphics.

2. What's a cold-boot?

3. Also, what's a boot-flash? 

4. Finally, how do I confirm it needs a new motherboard?  

1. Right, but the question is does it also have either AMD or Nvidia GPU that works with it. That's the problem I saw. Sometimes, my machine got confused as to which to use on boot.

2. From complete power off ... it's an old term. Makes sure everything is completely re-initialized.

3. When you boot from USB-Flash drive (as opposed to something like a disc).

4. When you exhaust all other possibilities ... it's either the motherboard or voodoo magic keeping it from working. Or, you miss something (but you THINK it's the motherboard) and it ends-up never getting fixed.

If it's not something obvious or that you can figure out ... most people seek the help of a qualified computer technician (if they decide to fix it). That's why some machines are not worth fixing. Some people would rather put that time and money toward a new one.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 15:00

Hi Tesla. Thanks for the reply. Got some questions for you. This unit does have Intel graphics. What's a cold-boot? Also, what's a boot-flash?  Finally, how do I confirm it needs a new motherboard?  Thanks for your indulgence.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 17:00

No, it doesn't have AMD or Nvidia GPU. Thanks for the terminology clarifications. I know the machine is old and any technician would tell me it's not worth fixing, but to me, it's worth some amount of my time (I'm retired) to try to troubleshoot if it's something that's easily replaceable. I'll have to check out prices on motherboards, but I'd consider that a last resort. I'm hoping people here who have more experience than I can provide things that I can try that will allow me to reinstall Windows.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2018 18:00

As I re-read your initial post ... a successful ePSA Diagnostic is a good thing, however it should have caught a bad hard-drive.

None-the-less ... if it can do a good ePSA, but not install Windows ... that usually means the HDD you wish to use a C: is bad. Replace it or try a spare one. Clean-install Windows to it.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 24th, 2018 06:00

There have been several forced bad update to blinking cursor black screen of death.

I highly recommend starting with a 1709 DVD and then Manually updating the latest Full Rollup. Latest mistake from microsoft yesterday includes the following

2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4043961)
2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4048955)
2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4051963)
2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517)
2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)
2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4058258)
2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4073290)
2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588)
2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4088776)
2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4089848)
2018-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4090913)
2018-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4093112)

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=KB4093105 (OS Build 16299.402) 4/23/2018
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=KB4093112 (OS Build 16299.371)  4/10/2018
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=KB4099572 (OS Build 15254.369) 4/10/2018
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=KB4089848 (OS Build 16299.334)  3/22/2018
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=KB4090912 (OS Build 15254.313) 3/15/2018
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309)  3/13/2018

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 24th, 2018 07:00

Thanks Tesla. I think I've ruled out the hard drive. I replaced the old HDD with a new one, tried to boot from my bootable Win 10 USB, and I got this window, Well, I couldn't figure out how to insert a photo, but it says "Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or couldn't be accessed. Error Code: 0xc000000f. You'll need to use recovery tools ......." I haven't researched the error code yet, but I typically don't have much luck with that. I know the bootable Win10 USB works in a different computer, so I don't think the error code is related to that.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 24th, 2018 07:00

S3 NewHDDErrorMsg.jpg

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 24th, 2018 10:00

Don't bother posting images because only you can see the ones you post. No one else can see them. It's an issue with this forum platform :TongueTied:

Read this about troubleshooting that error message.

EDIT: That link talks about Win 7, but the approach should apply to Win 10.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 24th, 2018 11:00

@RoHewrote:

Don't bother posting images because only you can see the ones you post. No one else can see them. It's an issue with this forum platform :TongueTied:

You're kidding! ...NO? That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. smh

But thanks for the heads-up.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 24th, 2018 12:00

RoHe, would including a link to a photo in dropbox or OneDrive be a possible work around (in case I need to include a photo sometime in the future)? Any other workarounds available? Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 24th, 2018 13:00

@RoHewrote:

Read this about troubleshooting that error message.

EDIT: That link talks about Win 7, but the approach should apply to Win 10.

RoHe, I went through your linked article. Unless I'm missing something, none of these fixes are applicable to me. They all seem to require getting into Recovery mode, and I can't even get there. I'd be very happy if I were able to get there, then I could fix things by doing a clean install, but I can't even get that far, it hangs before loading Windows. Am I missing something?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 24th, 2018 15:00

No, I'm not kidding. No one can see images posted by anybody else. It's an on-going issue...  In theory, using the URL to an image hosted elsewhere is supposed to work. Click the URL button at the top of the window that opens when you click the Photos icon on the toolbar in the Create window and paste in the URL.

As for your boot problem, have you tried to strip it down to bare essentials? Disconnect all drives except boot HDD, remove all PCI cards, etc. And have you re-checked that the data and power cables to HDD are correctly connected at both ends? Then remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery and try to boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

2 Intern

• 

219 Posts

April 24th, 2018 16:00

@RoHewrote:

As for your boot problem, have you tried to strip it down to bare essentials? Disconnect all drives except boot HDD, remove all PCI cards, etc. And have you re-checked that the data and power cables to HDD are correctly connected at both ends? Then remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery and try to boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

No, I hadn't tried disconnecting the DVD drive. I assume you mean remove the power and data cables from the DVD drive. And it's got two pci cards, wireless and Network which are still plugged in. I left the wireless card in because I don't have USB mouse and keyboard to install, and I left the network card in because, well, just because. I do the BIOS reset procedure every time I start the computer.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 24th, 2018 17:00

@shelquiswrote:

No, I hadn't tried disconnecting the DVD drive. I assume you mean remove the power and data cables from the DVD drive. And it's got two pci cards, wireless and Network which are still plugged in. I left the wireless card in because I don't have USB mouse and keyboard to install, and I left the network card in because, well, just because. I do the BIOS reset procedure every time I start the computer.

Remove everything that's not essential to boot the PC.

Don't understand the sentences in bold, above:

• What does the wireless card have to do with USB mouse and keyboard?
  • Why are you resetting BIOS every time you start the PC? 
  • Are the default BIOS settings correct for your specific setup?
    • Is the HDD correctly seen in BIOS connected to SATA0 on the motherboard?
    • Is onboard card reader DISabled in BIOS?
    • Do you have a RAID setup with 2 HDDs?
    • Does BIOS see the correct amount of RAM that's installed?
  • Do you know mouse and keyboard work? Can you test them on different PC?

No Events found!