Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2019 11:00

Inspiron G5-5090, CPU cooler?

Hi, 

Normally, I build my own PC but I decided to go with a pre-built with DELL because the deal was too good to pass up. It just arrived on my doorstep, (a new Inspiron G5-5090 desktop) and everything seems to be in order. The only thing I noticed is that the CPU cooler pictured on this non-Dell website is different than the one I got. 

Capture.JPG

I got a much cheaper one. I'm guessing this is normal but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first DELL. I assume the one pictured on the website is reserved for different CPU's. I have a i7-9700 (non-K) if that matters. 

Thanks,

24 Posts

December 20th, 2020 12:00

I have made an account just because I am now really angry.  I just bought a G5 with a RTX3070 a couple days ago, this one in particular https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/compare/6rgp and I either need to speak with someone from Dell right now or I will cancel my order right away because this is some really shady stuff. II will not buy a better cooling system to make sure it doesnt go running at 90 degrees and I will not be supporting this type of false advertisement.  I thought my Dell G5 order would come with the cooler pictured in their photos and after reading all through here its enough.

• 

25.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2020 17:00

Hi @morphadron,

We have replied to you via private note

Kavyashree

December 22nd, 2020 17:00

Make sure to update BIOS. I updated and temperatures went down without replacing fans. Still, they are very noisy and I might consider replacing them without more silent fans.

16 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 16:00

I realize this is an old thread but decided to add my experience just in case someone is searching for G5-5090 CPU cooler information which is not totally negative. My G5 uses the i9-9900 (not K) with a GTX1660Ti graphics card with 6 GB GDDR6 memory. I primarily use the G5 as a workstation for heavy high speed video and graphics processing. When an app is running full tilt the CPU utilization is mostly over 50% with clock speeds typically between 4.5 and 5.0 GHz, the i9-9900 max is 5GHz. The CPU cooler and fan are OEM and can be loud under heavy load but never the less appear to be adequate for my application. I run these video and graphics apps 8 to 10 hours most days. The highest CPU core temperature has been 80 degrees C and varies a few degrees less across the 8 cores. Intel's high thermal limit is 100 degrees C.  So all is not bad with the G5. I find it hard to believe that Dell's designers would not have accounted for long term use for these high performance systems.  For those who would say yeah but I play video games for hours and they are very demanding, maybe in the long run an Alienware machine would have been a better choice.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2020 10:00

Hi, 

So 2 days ago, I bought the Noctua NH-U9S and installed it as seen in the following pictures. And when I booted the pc up the first time, I encountered the following error. When I press continue it just boots me up into windows without a problem and I can play games. The cpu temp varies from 70 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius. Everyday since installing the new cooler, when I boot it up I encounter this error message, like I said earlier, once I press continue, it just boots up into windows. Should I be worried about this error message? Also, is it normal that the fan speed on the Noctua NH-U9S runs at a max 61% fan speed in Alienware command center?

dell.jpgdell 3.jpgdell 2.jpg

1 Message

December 27th, 2020 22:00

did more or less the same diy mods as you @deskjockey98 and the issue im having right now is that I cant control the new noctua fans in Alienware command center, I have the 92mm fan in the back on the 4 pin side of the splitter to maintain PWM functions, the stock fan in front below my 3070, and the noctua cooler with the included 92mm fan. CPU fan never goes over 64% and I cant command it over that no matter the curve I put in and same with the rear fan, it wont ever go over 50%. Any suggestions from people following?

December 28th, 2020 07:00

@codycfNo need to worry about the fan speed in Alienware Command Center, as per my reply to another post--it's a result of the Noctua fan's lower max RPM and Alienware not knowing how to deal with that. As for the error, your first image does not load for me, so I can't see what you're referring to. Try reposting the image or typing it out. As a first troubleshooting step, power everything down, unplug the fan, and plug it back in again, ensuring the connector is firmly in.

December 28th, 2020 07:00

@harkema116The reason the fans don't go above those percentages is because the Noctua fans have lower max RPMs. For example, the original case fan has an RPM of 4200, and the Noctua replacement is a 2100 RPM fan. So when the Noctua is going full speed (and moving 5 more cfm than the original fan at full speed), Alienware will report it as being at 50% because of the RPM. Same goes for the CPU fan. Basically, the Noctuas, being better fans, don't need to spin up to really high RPMs to move a lot of air, while the original Dell fans do (and that's why they sound like a jet engine).

Basically, blame the  Alienware Command Center for not reporting RPM and instead "translating" the RPM to a percentage measurement based on a hard-coded max speed. You are, in fact, controlling the fan to its max RPM. Download CPUID HWMonitor to see the actual RPM of your fans.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2020 09:00

@deskjockey98 @The error message is “the processor fan has failed to respond correctly.” I tried replugging and the same error message pops up every time I boot up the computer.

December 28th, 2020 09:00

@codycfGot it, thanks. Not sure what's going on, as my NH-U9S doesn't throw any BIOS errors. Do you have the latest BIOS version? Aside from that, I'm all out of ideas as to why its happening to you and not me. The good news is that, from what others have said in this and other threads, you can safely ignore the error if your fans are running as expected and provide the necessary cooling for the CPU. Maybe someone else can chime in with an answer.

2 Posts

December 29th, 2020 11:00

@deskjockey98 Could you explain how you used the m3 screws to mount the brackets to install the Noctua NH-U9S Cooler?  I currently am replacing mine and not sure how to go about it, this is my first ever PC repair and am pretty cautious and don't want to mess anything up.  Any advice helps, thanks!

December 29th, 2020 12:00

@alex77381Once you remove the original CPU cooler, place the black plastic spacers over the holes where the CPU cooler attached to the motherboard, then place the Noctua metal brackets on top of the spacers, then the M3 washers on top of those. Once you align all these items, thread the M3 bolts through the washers, brackets, and spacers and screw them into the motherboard. Make sure the brackets are properly aligned (follow the Noctua instructions). Here are some pics that another user took of his setup as he was going through it that might help.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8940-Better-cooler/m-p/7757098/highlight/true#M55966

The first pic shows the black plastic spacers under the metal brackets. The second and third one show you what the brackets look like when attached to the motherboard with the screws, and the rest of them show you what the cooler looks like when attached.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2021 20:00

Hi everyone,  I have a two week old G5, installed NF-A9 PWM, as the case fan without the front intake, as I felt the stock fan could not fit under the HDD as there is not enough space due to the RTX 3070. Thinking of going with the TX3 EVO as shown on @Noorss's video. However I would like to know if it is possible to install a liquid cooler on the front by removing the HDD. If that is the case I would prefer doing that and calling it a day as I would not have to spend money unnecessarily. Thanks for all your input.

1 Message

January 4th, 2021 05:00

This thread has some great information. I got my G5 in March 2020 and for the price, its a solid machine. Yes, its hard to upgrade anything due to proprietary dell stuff, but it can be done. I bought 2x16gb of RAM when I first got it (stock 8GB is not enough). Then recently I just got a i9 9900 (non k) because the i3 was at 100% playing games. I also put in a SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 because the stock Seagate 7200 HDD was not good (hung and was overall slow). With these changes, the machine is very fast!

My CPU temps were hitting 100c with the i9 so I got the Noctua NH-U9S (thanks to this thread) and now my temps don't go over 70c (mostly 50-60c). I do get the BIOS error on startup when ever I change hardware and the diagnostics run. From what I have read, that is because the Noctua runs at slower speeds and doesn't start when the PC initially starts (it has a slight lag). So I got a Noctua Y splitter and use the stock CPU fan in conjunction with the Noctua fan as a push/pull on the cooler (use the stock fan as the primary). So I no longer get this error and I have more airflow. 

With all these upgrades, my cost is still lower then buying the higher level G5 and I spread it out over 10 months. I thought the i3 version would be fine but some of these newer games need more cpu power. 

It would be nice if the G5 was more easily upgraded (still have issues replacing PSU) but given the initial cost (under $600) its a really good deal.

37 Posts

January 4th, 2021 08:00

great write up - thank you

No Events found!