Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2020 18:00

Keyboard and Mouse Stops Working Temporarily after Boot

For the past day or so, I've been experiencing a strange issue. After my computer boots and reaches the lock screen, the mouse and keyboard will become unresponsive for around 30 seconds. This is really annoying because now I have to wait for about 30 seconds to be able to input my password and access my desktop. I noticed it starting happening after I rearranged the SATA cables. I think I had my boot drive in slot 2 and my storage HDD in slot 0, then I moved them to slots 0 and 1 respectively.

I've also had issues with my computer shutting down and restarting. When I try to do either, it will often get stuck and I'll have to forcibly shut it down by holding the power button.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 14th, 2020 15:00

SATA cable color doesn't matter. The boot drive should be connected to the blue SATA 0 port on the motherboard. For clarity, Dell would typically use a blue SATA cable for the HDD to be connected to the blue SATA port, and an orange cable for the optical or secondary HDD drive connected to some other SATA port.

Did you try disconnecting all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard?

Does this only happen during a cold boot, or does it also happen when you restart from the desktop (a warm boot)?

Is something scheduled to run at boot, like a security scan or some updater that's phoning home?

Did you run the malwarebytes scan?

Start>Run>msconfig (and press Enter)
On General tab, what Startup is selected:
Normal
Diagnostic
Selective Startup (with which options?)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 13th, 2020 20:00

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

The free version of Malwarebytes is a good place to start...

And always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

If these are wireless mouse+keyboard, do you need to replace the batteries?

24 Posts

June 13th, 2020 22:00

@RoHe My bad; I'm using an Inspiron 620 and the latest version of Windows 10. I checked for malware recently, but not in the last day or so when these issues started occurring. The mouse is wireless, but I replaced its batteries recently. 

Another issue I've had worth mentioning is that the Disk Management applet never seems to load. It just displays the message "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service..." ad infinitum.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 14th, 2020 12:00

The boot drive should be plugged into the SATA0 drive connector on the motherboard, #12 in the Service Manual motherboard diagram. If you put the SATA cables back where they were before this problem started, does that fix it?  BTW: Why did you move those cables around in the first place?

"Connecting to Virtual Disk Service..."  Might be related to the SATA cable issue, but if above doesn't fix it, disconnect any external USB storage devices, reboot PC and try Disk Management again.

24 Posts

June 14th, 2020 15:00

@RoHe I currently have my boot drive in SATA 0. I rearranged them for neatness. I tried putting them back the way they were before, but it didn't seem to fix anything.

Does the color of SATA cable make a difference? The mini-tower comes with 2 SATA cables, 1 blue and 1 orange. I'm using the orange one for the boot drive, but the SATA 0 port on the motherboard is blue, unlike the others. Would I need to use a blue SATA cable to connect my boot drive to the blue SATA port?

24 Posts

June 14th, 2020 23:00

@RoHe Unplugging all my unnecessary USB cables did the trick. I had an SD card, Xbox One controller, and Xbox Wireless Adapter plugged in. I rebooted it several times and never experienced the issue again. Unplugging the devices also inadvertently fixed another issue I was having with the Disk Management utility loading indefinitely. Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

June 15th, 2020 10:00

Now you can reconnect all those USB devices again, one at time, to see which one is the problem child. 

I'd bet it's the SD card...

No Events found!