Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2020 06:00

Will an SSHD Reach Optimal Speeds on an Inspiron 620?

Was wondering if anyone would know the answer. I looked at data on UserBenchmark, but the sample size was too small to draw much of a conclusion.

SSDs are out of the question. All the benchmarks I've seen of the Inspiron 620 show that their speeds are limited greatly.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S1797-M19175vsS0-M?tab=SSD#Benchmarks

If a hybrid drive won't perform well on this computer, I might just settle for this HDD since my current one is quite slow and I've had it for 9 years.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 07:00

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 05:00

I have Samsung in one 620 and Crucial in another.  Here is what I got with MX500, i7-2700K, 1080Ti:

2 core CPU - 198 pts, 8 core 482 pts

512 fps DX9, 356fps DX10

MX500 - 223 MB/S sequential, 32.5 MB/S random 4k

Barrucuda - 145 MB/S Sequential, 1.4 MB/S random 4k

On my XPS 8700 which does support AHCI, i7-4790k

2 core CPU - 258 pts, 8 core 650 pts

516 fps DX9, 353 fps DX10

MX500 - 360 MB/S sequential, 49.5 MB/S random 4k

XPS8700 has 30% faster CPU and 60% faster SSD.

So, lack of AHCI is not that big a penalty.  And the random 4K is so much faster than a fast HDD.

But remember to turn off the optimization.

I bought one of those 2.5" mounting kits for a few bucks to install in the 620.

David

24 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 07:00

Understood, thanks. I'll settle for a new HDD then.

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 18:00

I run SSDs just fine on my two Inspiron 620s.  Key to this is two fold.  First I use the Samsung Data Migration software so that it gets the SSD on the correct boundaries.  Next I turn off HD optimization in Optimize and defragment drives under Tools in Properties of drive.

Not full SSD speed, but once you try this you will never tolerate HDD again.

David

24 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 19:00

@lambdapro2 So I would be better off using an SSD rather than buying a new HDD, even with the reduced speeds taken into account? I'll see if I can install one then; I happen to have a 2TB Crucial MX500 lying around, but never got around to installing it. I don't know where to start lol.

24 Posts

May 27th, 2020 00:00

@lambdapro2 I took your advice and ordered a mounting kit. Getting the SSD mounted and installed was a bit tricky, but I eventually figured it out. After cloning my HDD's files to my SSD, it runs beautifully. The SSD boots up the OS and programs so much faster. :')

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 27th, 2020 03:00

Not supporting in AHCI means that Trim is not supported.AHCI is required for native TRIM support in Windows

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000016148/memory-and-storage.html?wapkw=trim

It also means that indexing, swap, and defrag will write the drive to death in short order.

Pre fetch, superfetch, hibernate, indexing, defrag, etc should be OFF for an SSD with limited number of writes.

Due to an effect known as write amplification, when small 512-byte
sector is written to SSD, entire eraseblock (typically 32x larger)
gets erased and rewritten.

“optimizing” Windows for an SSD involves reducing the amount of writes to the SSD.
That’s because each cell of flash memory on the drive only has a limited number
of writes before it can’t be written to anymore.

Disable swap file

Swapping reduces SSD lifetime greatly.

No paging file

Disable System Restore

Theoretically, System Restore feature is to make sure that software installations,
drivers, and other updates can be rolled back.

In practice, it never works that way and just wasting disk space and I/O.

My Computer -> Properties -> System Restore

Disable Updating of File Last Access Time

Each time you read any file, Windows updates its attributes (last access time in particular).
Such updates generate a lot of useless disk writes.

Disable Windows Prefetch

Windows Prefetch is indended to speed up loading of applications. It writes a copy of which DLLs and data files each application tend to read each time on startup and makes them sequental on disk in its Windows Prefetcher Cache.

Disable disk defragmentation and background moving of frequently accessed files to the start of disk

Because random read time on SSD is the same as linear read time, defragmentation is damaging for SSD and reduces its life.

24 Posts

May 27th, 2020 18:00

@speedstep Ok, I did everything you said and restarted my computer. Will this improve my SSD's lifespan by a significant amount? Won't changing these settings lower my SSD's speed even further?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 28th, 2020 07:00

The number of reads is not the issue.

The number of WRITES is limited.

You can literally write a drive to death in a few hours.

Especially if logging says keep for 2 weeks and you get an error in the system log thats silent that happens every second or so which is 86,400 writes to the error log per day.

No Idea what you mean by making performance worse.

prefetch is done after boot so there isn't a good justification for writing these over and over.

SSD's improve boot times but they don't speed up apps because once they are loaded the SSD isn't used as often for reads.

No Events found!