Closed

A

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

November 27th, 2021 20:00

G15 5511, RAM compatibility

Hello All,

I have just received my new G15 5511 and decided to upgrade RAM from 8GB to 16GB. This has not been a success as the laptop did not recognize the new RAM so I thought I'd share what I've found out. I couldn't find a list of known compatible RAM online or in the manuals, so I decided to start this thread. Feel free to add you experience.

Kingston Fury 3200MHz 1x8GB CL20-22-22. Would not POST or get to BIOS. Blink code 2,5 "Invalid memory installed" Tried the Kingston on it's own and with the factory 8GB stick with the same results.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2021 10:00

I am assuming you took Dell (factory) memory module out of the slot and install the Kingston memory to see if it's will work along and without any problems? Check Memory supported configurations for your computer in link below:

Dell G15 5511 Setup and Specifications | Dell US

I find it best to use two identical memory sticks that are from the same manufacture - see link below):

Parts & Upgrades for your G5 15 (5511) | Dell USA

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

November 29th, 2021 11:00

Hi LSUFAN51,

The kingston fury meets all the specs listed and I tried it on its own and with the factory stick, the kingston works fine in my husbands ASUS laptop so it's just that my Dell doesn't like Kingston fury. I couldn't find any list of approved/known good Ram manufactures which is what I'm hoping to create.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 29th, 2021 11:00

You won't find such a list.  Work in the other direction - buy from a supplier that certifies compatibility (Crucial does, as does Kingston when memory chosen for their configurator is used).

3 Posts

November 30th, 2021 06:00

Hi. I have the same situation with the Kingston Fury KF432S20IB1K2/32 (with the latest BIOS 1.8.1 on the laptop)

I guess I have to try to return this RAM to the shop now

Also I've found some information about compatible Kingston RAM with G15 5511

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2021 20:00

Thanks M_A_X_NSK,

I'll check it out. this rather frustrating, some clear documentation on what is required for compatibility would be very helpful. (Hint hint any Dell people reading this)

7 Posts

December 3rd, 2021 22:00

I've been looking into ram upgrades for a 5511 myself.  I've run across others who have had issues upgrading using certain Crucial and Kingston ram.  The issue is the lack of XMP support on the motherboard. So any rams with voltage over 1.2v and/or latency lower than CL22 aren't going to work. You'll notice the link with the specs above don't specify voltage or latency. Also, when you look at the ram Dell sells for the 5511, they are all 1.2v and CL22.  Looks like the ram you tried to use is CL20.    

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2021 22:00

jbraft thanks a lot!

I've also found page of crucial ram compatibility and ordered CT2K16G4SFRA32A module set. Must be in the shop tomorrow. I'll let you know is it works

3 Posts

December 5th, 2021 00:00

Update: CT2K16G4SFRA32A module set (2x16GB) works fine

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 6th, 2021 07:00

Aethelflaed

I would suggest you quickly return memory module to the retailer before it's too late to return it and get your money back. Now, you can contact Dell-Cares by following steps in link below, hopefully they can help. Good luck.

How to send DELL-Cares a Private Message - Dell Community

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 6th, 2021 07:00

M_A_X_NSK

Thank you for sharing an update on the Crucial memory. 

7 Posts

December 10th, 2021 11:00

Just upgraded the RAM on my G15 5511. Besides the pain to get the back cover off, it went without a hitch. I decided what the heck and replaced the 8GB with two 16GB sticks. All 32GB was recognized immediately, the Alienware Command Center shows it running at the same speed as the OEM ram (although to me it seems a little faster), and it passed a hardware check. It is 1.2v CL22, as was the original. What I ordered was G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C22D-32GRS. 

26 Posts

December 14th, 2021 08:00

I've seen from several memory distributors, (Crucial, etc.), that the G15 5511 can "actually" use 64Gb ram.  Heck, if Crucial is willing to accept returns for a kit if it doesn't work, I'm game to try.  Will let y'all know how it works out.  Already got a Samsung 980 1Tb on the way from Santa Claus!

December 18th, 2021 07:00

I wish have read you some days earlier i get the amazing 32gb kit corsair vengance CL22 and not work, the compatibility of this LAPTOP its a joke, i trust CORSAIR because ive never get a failure product, i tried to get DELL help but they are USELESS, you give me the answers that i need, thanks i will buy this Crucial Model

• 

25.7K Posts

December 18th, 2021 07:00

Hi,

We have sent you a private message to assist you further so please check and reply to get more information of the issue. 

December 18th, 2021 08:00

I´ve not see any mesagge from you, but the problem as you can read, its a compatibility problem with a lot of RAM modules like Kingston Corsair....etc. 

My problem its y try to install a 32gb Corsair Kit with the same Specs in all, as the included just with more amout of memory, all Speed and latencys are the same, and yes please the new modules are ok ive tested in another ASUS laptop and work fine, tested in one slot each, etc.

What i need to know its if DELL plans to update via BIOS in te future (No so far i hope) the RAM compatibility, so i can keep the Corsair and not spend another $200 in the Crucial modules

No Events found!