Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

9 Posts

December 3rd, 2020 20:00

BIOS recovery failure

I have an Inspiron 17 5000 series laptop.  When I tried to boot, the laptop went through POST (no hardware failures other than a battery that has 100% power, but shows 44% health) and then went to Automated Repair and then a black screen that does not go away.  After unsuccessfully trying recommendations to clear this problem, I decided to try BIOS recovery per the Dell online how to article.  It went through a flash progress status to 100%, then a message appeared at bottom and disappeared before I finished reading it, but suspect there was a problem.  It then displayed Updating EC BIOS with an empty Flash Progress status bar.  This screen has been displayed for over an hour, and I am unsure how to proceed.  Screen message that appeared at beginning states not to power down my system.  How do I get out of this situation without making it worse?

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

December 4th, 2020 05:00

You need to use another computer to go to dell.com/support. Using your Service Tag, download the BIOS for the XPS 13.

Copy the file to a FAT32 USB key and rename it to BIOS_IMG.rcv.

Plug the key into the problem computer while it is turned off and reboot. You should now have the option of recovering the BIOS from the key.

For more details see the Dell article BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet.
I suggest watching attentively the included video before starting.

9 Posts

December 4th, 2020 06:00

To clarify, my computer has the bios recovery 2 tool.  That is what I was running when the failure occurred.  I was following the video instructions at that time.  I can't power the laptop down at least not via the power button. The video indicates that it is not possible to download bios to usb for systems that have the recovery tool.  I tried to download it to usb drive anyway.  It put up a warning that the attributes could not be copied with the file.  I am not sure what the implications of that are.  I have a screen that currently says do not power down in red font and power button does not seem to work anyway.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

9 Posts

December 4th, 2020 06:00

Hi Adrian

Thank you for your response.  I thought XPS 13 is a different laptop.  Is this compatible with an Inspiron 17 5000 series.  I don't see this BIOS option when I look up downloads using my service tag.  

Thank you. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2020 10:00

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Inspiron 17 5000 5749, windows 10

If you don't know, enter the service tag number onto the link below. After, you be able to see it in your Dell Product Support page.

Support | Dell US

(75) How to find a Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support) - YouTube

In meantime the computer is still power on ? If yes, the computer is giving any message? The computer giving any flashing lights? 

9 Posts

December 4th, 2020 15:00

Inspiron 17 5759, windows 10

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2020 09:00

The computer still trying to update the BIOS ?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 7th, 2020 12:00

I'm assuming you have rebooted the computer, now the computer is working normally? 

No Events found!