Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

December 15th, 2019 04:00

CPU stuck at 0.39 GHz

Hello, I have Inspiron 5770. I got it back from tech support couple of days ago - they replaced battery, motherboard and installed new Windows 10.

Everything looks good except CPU is stuck at 0.39 GHz, no matter if I have 10 opened tabs in Chrome, play a movie and listen to music on iTunes at the same time or just one tab in Chrome is opened.

It's Intel Core i7 8550U processor which should run things much faster than 0.39 GHz. I googled this and lots of people have similar problems, so I did some of the things other people recommended. I installed all Windows updates and drivers (even BIOS one) from Dell, went through hardware test, enabled High perfomance battery mode, max processor state is set to 100%, AC adapter is recognized in BIOS. I booted and rebooted laptop many times, plugged and unplugged charger also. I drained battery and connected it to charger again - still nothing. CPU temperature also shouldn't be a problem because CPU speed is too low.

The only thing I didn't try is Throttlestop (and similar programs) and removing battery since it's built in and the laptop is still under warranty.

Am I missing something? Should I take it to tech support again?

Thanks!

26 Posts

December 15th, 2019 13:00

It is still broken so yes you should take it back to tech support again.  In the mean time, try using ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path.  When a sensor goes bad, it can send a throttling signal to your CPU and prevent it from running at its rated speed.  If this solves your problem, it will help the tech track down the root cause.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

December 15th, 2019 16:00

I will definitely contact them, but they specifically said they replaced the motherboard, not fixed, not modified. So what are the odds they replaced a broken motherboard with another broken motherboard.

When they replaced it, I was having a different problem (blue screen), not the slow CPU like now. This problem came up right after they replaced previous motherboard.

I just want to make sure if I'm missing something obvious that can be solved in a few seconds or is it something more serious that the tech support should look into.

26 Posts

December 15th, 2019 18:00

Are you 100% sure it was a brand new motherboard?

Read my previous post if you want to try and troubleshoot this problem.  No matter what, you have to contact Dell.  This is a common problem but it is definitely not normal for a CPU to be stuck at its lowest speed.  

1 Message

July 27th, 2022 08:00

Mine is the same, the CPU stuck at 0.39GHz, then I check the power adapter, I replaced with higher power. The laptop requires 3.3A but I am using 4.62 (90W) then the CPU is working properly (up to > 4GHz)

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 2nd, 2022 04:00

Recently had this issue with one of my Lenovo laptops. Lenovo investigated and said it was an issue with the "Modern Standby" feature.

The fix was to update to the latest Lenovo Inteligent Thermal Solution driver (version: 2.0.369.1) and to disabled "Modern Standby" with this Registry Key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LITSSVC\IC\CONFIG] "MSC"=dword:00000000

Let me know if that works for you

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

June 30th, 2023 01:00

No Events found!