1 Copper

XPS 15 9560 CPU stuck at 0.79 GHz

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I come here slightly desparate... My CPU is always running at 0.79GHz as maximal speed.

It seems to be quite a common problem, but i didn't find any consistent answer to it. I've tried first to play with the power settings by setting them in max performances. I changed the min and max CPU usages without improvement.

I heared about Dell Power Managment, but setting the thermal strategy to maximal performance didn't change anything either.

After that, i heared about ThrottleStop, but it doesn't work on my computer.

I also tried to change the settings of the BIOS by disabling the speedstep and the C-state parameters. This didn't change anything either... (i thus set back the initials settings).

I tried re-installing the drivers of the chipset, again, no result, i did download and install again the last BIOS update. Again, no success...

Lastly, i saw a parameter in the registers that did improve the thing, it was there:

"\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm"

There, the parameter "start" is by default to 3. Setting it to 4 locks the CPU to its maximal speed after a restart, but then it keeps in that state... This is the only thing that made my CPU go higher then 0.79. I read that setting a value of 1 was setting an adaptive mode, but it didn't work either. So as i don't want my CPU to run at full speed all the time, i've set back the value of 3.

Also, i tried analysing my PC by doing "sys /scannow" in the powershell, and it saied that there were not any problem.

Also, here is a screen of a software called "intel Extreme TuningUtility". It helped me figuring out one thing, my cpu is doing thermal throttling even at low temperature.

Sirtyl_0-1585086149121.png

Have anyone an idea of why is my CPU stuck at its minimal speed? I guess it is only a software that is locking it that way, as i have been able to lock it at its maximas speed using the registers...

Any new idea or help would be more then welcome

Thank you all by advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9560 CPU stuck at 0.79 GHz

Jump to solution

To anyone that ever have the same problem, i found out a solution for my case.

Physically unplugging the battery and waiting like 1-2 minuts before plugging it back made the CPU runn at normal speed again.

I hope you guys will never have this issue but still, here is the answer 🙂 (and you are free to try all the previously mantioned things i've tested)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 9560 CPU stuck at 0.79 GHz

Jump to solution

To anyone that ever have the same problem, i found out a solution for my case.

Physically unplugging the battery and waiting like 1-2 minuts before plugging it back made the CPU runn at normal speed again.

I hope you guys will never have this issue but still, here is the answer 🙂 (and you are free to try all the previously mantioned things i've tested)

View solution in original post