Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2019 08:00

Can the Inspiron 14-5000 (i5482) charge over USB-C?

I'm looking at the latest Inspiron 14-5000, which has a "USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C (DP/PowerDelivery)" port. 

Can this port be used to charge the laptop over USB?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2019 10:00

Thank you for your message. The USB type C port does not support 2-way charging & cannot charge the notebook battery.

1 Message

July 6th, 2019 15:00

I read online that some reviewers were able to charge Dell Inspiron 5482 over USB-C. Why do they say it can be done, and you say it can't? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 6th, 2019 16:00

@pjoshua5000 wrote:

I read online that some reviewers were able to charge Dell Inspiron 5482 over USB-C. Why do they say it can be done, and you say it can't? Thanks

@pjoshua5000   Dell's specs for that system say that the USB-C port supports "Power Delivery".  Unfortunately that isn't specific because USB PD can be used in either direction, i.e. the system can provide power via USB PD up to a certain wattage in order to fast charge peripherals, and/or it can receive power via USB PD in order to charge itself.  Some systems with USB-C ports support USB PD only in one direction or the other, some support both, and some support neither.  On some systems, when the system supports USB PD specifically for charging, the specs of the USB-C port will say something like "DC in" or "system charging", but unfortunately not always.  When Dell's official specs are ambiguous like they are in this case, sometimes Dell reps get the answer wrong, because they often speak from just looking at the specs rather than direct personal experience.  And sometimes they get it wrong even when the specs seem clear, such as cases where somebody asks if an accessory will work with a certain system.  A Dell rep might check the system compatibility list for that accessory and say it won't work because the system isn't on that list, when the reality is that the accessory will work just fine and Dell simply hasn't kept that compatibility list up to date as they've released new system models.  That happens all the time.

In this case if you've gotten confirmation from someone who actually tested this specific capability with this specific system, then I would go with that answer.

1 Message

April 12th, 2020 12:00

@SreejithR, I have a 5482 and it charges via USB-C. Current have it hooked up to an Anker 30W charger and the laptop is taking in 19.4V at 1.46A.

The USB-C port can be used for charging.

August 31st, 2022 05:00

I'm able to dock and charge via USB type C simultaneously using a Lenovo Thinkpad Universal Usb C dock 20V - 4.5A without any problem on my Dell 5482 i5 laptop

No Events found!