Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

5 Posts

May 11th, 2019 04:00

Dell G3 15 (3579) Stinks

Hiya

I was recently gifted a new Dell G3 3579 and its a fantastic laptop however in use it pumps out a horrific smell like its been sitting in a room full of cats for years.

I really hope you can help as its making the laptop unusable.

Many thanks

May 11th, 2019 06:00

"

like its been sitting in a room full of cats for years.

"

perhaps it has.

2 Posts

May 11th, 2019 09:00

Have you tried cleaning it with something like a perfume scented towel? If smell is coming from inside, I think it will fade away by time.

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

May 11th, 2019 09:00

It's probably due to a combination of poor engineering (esp. cheap plastic) and broatware that comes preinstalled. The unneeded apps/processes/services spike the resources, resulting in overheating. Then the cheap plastic does the job…

I would optimize the PC, making sure that it doesn't run any apps that I don't need, and that it doesn't start too many things automatically. This should result in fewer spikes (and, ultimately, fewer "smells" as well, lol).

PS - My Samsung TV was smelling like [insert] when I first bought it, but then the smell faded away. This took a few weeks.  

May 11th, 2019 11:00

I had a G3 -- it never smelled anything close to what you have been describing. Is it possible that you have been gifted with a laptop that has been peed on my a cat?

Try wiping it Lysol wipes or non-abrasive cloth damped with 70% alcohol -- especially where the rubber feet are

May 19th, 2019 12:00

Well I became impatient waiting for Dell to reply..... so I removed the fans and discovered there was in fact a metric ton of hair stuck in the cooling fins and some funny yellow stuff on the blades of the fans. I suspect the stench was down to the heat of this thing melting what ever the **bleep** it was on there. 

My fix was to replace the fans and I used a single drop of 0 nic eliquid on a cotton bud to swab the cooling fins clean.

Now my G3 smells of strawberries and kicks out a lovely smoke ring on start up! :smileylol:

Thanks to all those above that took the time to help me fix my issue :)

No Events found!