garod79
1 Nickel

Re: Dell G5 5587 keyboard backlight

Jump to solution

That's great Sebastian, can you tell me how?

0 Kudos
Skiddles1337
1 Copper

Jump to solution

hey buddy i was in the same situation as you, to make it worse after i installed that **bleep** dell feature enchancement thing my keyboard wouldnt lightup unless i was actively touching the mouse pad. any ways im pretty sure i got the solution for you, howver im on the dell G5 15, should be the same solution.

1. restart computer

2. when the dell logo appears press either f12 or the delete key, might depend on your model. this is to open the boot menu

3. select BIOS setup

4. go to the system configuration tab, inside here should be the backlight settings for AC and battery. you can pick the settings you want!!

i hope that works for you and anyone else stumbling upon this thread Smiley Very Happy
(also uninstall that feature enhancement **bleep**, it has annoying popups when you toggle the brightness)

Highlighted
LarryPenrod
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Does that include never on?

0 Kudos
desmo907
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Just got a bios update from Dell on my new G5...... and get a "battery" error on startup and keyboard backlight not fixed.

I can find the Control panel and when I select 5 minutes it resets to 1 minute but then does NOT light up at all. I have to restart. And it still times out after 10 seconds!

0 Kudos
garod79
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Perfect fix, thanks a million.

0 Kudos
desmo907
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Got the call back. Hitting F2  key when re-starting (shut down completely) exposes a menu where you can find the keyboard feature and set the timeout which I did to 15 minutes (while on AC).

It worked.

The Control panel keyboard menu doesn't work - they say that is the Windows menu and to ignore it.

NateTheGreat7
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the G7 series and I was just able to change the keyboard illumination settings in the system BIOS.  When you restart your computer, hit F2 when you see the Dell logo and it will go into the BIOS setup.  Navigate through the options on the left side until you see Keyboard Illumination.  I had the option to change it to stay on forever.  They have options for both AC and battery.  Hope this helps!

MuskyCM
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

My wife and I purchased identical laptop computers, the Dell Inspiron 5559 with backilt keyboards. Out of the box, hers has no issues staying lit. She uses the Fn/F10 combination to set her back light either "Dim, Bright, or off. Working fine!

Out of the box, my back light was only staying on for five seconds, I contacted Dell support and they directed me to install the DFEP which I did. This allowed me to set the timeout for the back light to five minutes. This is better, but still not the "always on" option that I was looking for. So I uninstalled the enhancement pack and the keyboard still stays lit for five minutes.

The only difference between my wife's laptop that stays illuminated constantly unless turned off with the FN/F10 switch and my laptop that will not stay lit is found in "Device manager" under "Keyboards". Mine shows two entries , "HID keyboard device and standard PS/2 Keyboard" where her's just shows the "standard PS/2 Keyboard". I don't know whether that makes a difference or not. I have tried uninstalling the HID Keyboard device from my system but it is reinstalled by Windows in the next reboot. 

There are no setting in the BIOS other then "OFF, DIM or BRIGHT"

Does anyone know what else I can try to get the back light to stay on? An easy "On and off" switch would be fine!

0 Kudos
Knapp
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Can you give directions how to do that please? I also would like to set the timer to permanently "on".

*edit* Nevermind. I didn't see the other pages of forum. Please disregard my post.

0 Kudos
ari_dos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was able to solve this by changing the settings in BIOS. There are 3 different sections available -

Backlit KB Brightness - You can set it to Bright

Backlight timeout on A/C - You can set it to quite a few options ranging from 5 seconds (default) to Never

Backlight timeout on battery - similar as above

I set both to 1 minute and it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos