Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2023 03:00

Dell G7 7790 - Original 60Wh Battery ONLY lasts 2 HOURS !?!?

Dell G7 17 7790

Dell G7 17 7790

Hello,

I own a Dell G7 7790 laptop bought in 2020, recently I did all the battery tests with SupportAssist app, on Dell website and in BIOS as well and the result was that I had to change it.

I have received an original Dell Alienware G7 17 7790 60Wh 3750mAh battery but after several charges, even with the Windows 10 Power Plan set to "Battery Saver" , it only lasts 2 Hours .

I read on the G7 7790 official specs that with light use, not heavy CPU usage, like web navigation the G7 last about 7 hours  !

I also remember that with the previous Dell battery I had more than 2 hours, and I must say that I have not changed anything about BIOS, etc.

Meanwhile I contacted the Dell support and they told me that the battery can be changed but it is very strange because all the tests of this current new battery gives me the resutl "Your battery health is OK"

Looking forward to hear from other Dell users .

Angelo 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 7th, 2023 06:00

Buy from a trusted retailer that warranties the battery. Parts-People is a reliable supplier of genuine Dell parts and they have batteries for your laptop in stock. You can also buy direct from Dell

If you buy elsewhere, be careful because there are many counterfeit batteries sold. Ask the seller about warranty and ask about production date/age of the battery.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 8th, 2023 07:00

You're not listening to the fact that the battery you've purchased has 94% of its rated capacity.  It is not the issue.

The cause could be the accumulation of added programs and drivers that have been installed over time, or the load on the system -- it's not the battery that's the issue here.

That seven hour runtime you've quoted is no doubt for a system with the 6 cell battery and low resolution screen, and likely with the discrete GPU disabled in favor of the integrated one, and with the screen dimmed as much as possible.  You can generally cut the quotes by half in the real world meaning about 3.5 hours out of a 6-cell battery.  And cut that to 2/3 for the 4-cell battery and a reasonable estimate would be about 2.3 hours -- you're not far off that at this point.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 4th, 2023 12:00

Hi @AngeloFumarola welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions | Dell US.  For the typical user, noticeable reduction in run time generally will be observed after 18 to 24 months. For a power user, reduction in run time generally may be experienced within 18 months. Dell recommends buying a new OEM laptop battery when the run time does not meet your needs.  

The HWiNFO64 utility will reveal the battery wear level, see following example.   

crimsom_0-1675541760830.png

February 6th, 2023 04:00

These are the results of HWINFO and CMD "powercfg /batteryreport" in WINDOWS 10, check out the screenshots.........so, do you think I should change the battery ?

INSTALLED BATTERYINSTALLED BATTERYHWINFO BATTERYHWINFO BATTERYOLD DELL BATTERY LIFE ESTIMATESOLD DELL BATTERY LIFE ESTIMATESNEW CURRENT DELL BATTERY LIFE ESTIMATESNEW CURRENT DELL BATTERY LIFE ESTIMATES

The last screenshots shows the life estimates of the OLD DELL battery that in the latest performance aged a lot then starting from 2023-01-30 you can see the NEW DELL battery results .

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

February 6th, 2023 05:00

Hi @AngeloFumarola thank you for sharing update. 

Using laptop on ac adapter (charger) power will extend battery life. A wear level of only 6.5% should not require a new OEM replacement battery. The battery white label has year/month date beneath square matrix, and this should be less than six months old for a new battery. (Was the Dell replacement 60Wh battery new?) 

New Dell G Series G7 7790 OEM Original Alienware m15 / m17 60Wh 4-cell Laptop Battery DP/N 1F22N 

New Dell G Series G7 7790 OEM Original Alienware m15 / m17 90Wh 6-cell Laptop Battery DP/N XRGXX 

February 6th, 2023 08:00

The battery white label has year/month date beneath square matrix, and this should be less than six months old for a new battery. (Was the Dell replacement 60Wh battery new?) 

New Dell G Series G7 7790 OEM Original Alienware m15 / m17 60Wh 4-cell Laptop Battery DP/N 1F22N 

New Dell G Series G7 7790 OEM Original Alienware m15 / m17 90Wh 6-cell Laptop Battery DP/N XRGXX 

OK I will send you here a photo of the battery as soon as possible in order to understand when it was produced, Thanks for the info.

February 6th, 2023 11:00

I can not open now the laptop but I remember I did a scan the scan on the square matrix using my smartphone and in the cronology of scans I have found the code:

CN-A0YBG6-1PS00-077-ZR7V-A02

and yes it is a Dell 60Wh 4-Cell , DP/N 1F22N.

How can I read year/month/date in the code ?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

February 6th, 2023 11:00

I  believe that the date code 077 would, in this case, mean it was manufactured July 7, 2020. That battery is almost three years old. If you bought this recently then you were given old stock and should ask for a refund/replacement.

February 6th, 2023 23:00

Ok thank you very much for the info.

But I think it is not possible to order a Dell battery with a certain production date. You cannot select it on the order on any website. 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 7th, 2023 06:00

Was the original battery 4 cell, or was it 6 cell?  Both are available for this model, and only the 6 cell battery is likely to produce the runtimes you're looking for.

There does not appear to be  a capacity issue with the battery you have despite its age -- but if you've replaced the original with a smaller battery, you will see severely reduced runtimes vs. the original.

February 7th, 2023 08:00

I forgot to say that I am Italian and if I check the battery on Dell website selecting Italian I can't find it available. 

Does anyone know how much are the custom fees/taxes in case of ordering a battery from USA ? 

the old Dell battery that was in the laptop when I bought it was the 4-cell and it performed more than 2 hours, the new Dell battery is also 4-cell but it works maximum 2 hours.

My current configuration fetures 1 nvme ssd + 1 2,5" sata ssd so I can't use the 6-cell battery, to do that I should install only 1 nvme ssd 4 Tb.

I have just sent an email to Parts-People asking info about production date of the battery. shipping costs, taxes/custom duties and how many days it takes to receive the battery from USA to ITALY.

February 8th, 2023 05:00

I contacted Parts-People but the battery is too expensive to ship to a Italy, in total is $ 250 approx including shipping + there are custom duties/taxes....

I don't understand why on Dell Website USA I see replacement batteries available and not in the Dell Website ITALY.

It is better to find an Italian seller of original DELL products able to send me a battery with the latest manufacture date... 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 8th, 2023 05:00

No.  The cycles repeat.  A first digit of zero could be 2000, 2010, or 2020.  Since your system was released in 2020, that's the year the battery was made.  I don't think the age of the battery is the issue here, since it's showing close to its full design capacity.

It can take a few charge-discharge cycles for the battery to reach its full capacity. 

If you need more runtime, ditch the 2.5" drive and install the 6-cell battery.

No Events found!