Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

July 14th, 2022 21:00

Dell, Inc. - Firmware - 10.41.1.6 - In Windows Update but not Dell Update or Support site

Inspiron 15 7510

Inspiron 15 7510

Hi, The above firmware update has appeared in Windows Update (WU). However, Dell Update and the official support downloads site, for this laptop, do not mention this update at all.

Is this a valid update Dell have decided to release through Windows Update only, for some unknown/weird reason, because they have failed to see the valid reasons for at least listing it on their official support pages? Or is it a Microsoft Windows update, incorrectly identified for my laptop that may well fry something if I try to install it?

Someone else has posted about this, with a related question, in the XPS forum, identifying it as a firmware update for the Kioxia (Toshiba) KBG SSD drive (in my case a KBG40Zns512g). However, no official response from Dell in the thread and no report back from the OP to say how the installation went (good or fried). Post is here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/DELL-Inc-Firmware-10-90-41-6-on-optional-windows-11-updates/td-p/8163101

On a more general point about these laptops; these are supposed to be business (albeit small business) devices. Why are Dell insisting on treating them too much like consumer devices? e.g:

1. Releasing updates only through WU and not even mentioning them on their official support site. any tech worth their salt would not install updates without getting some kind of official information on them. We've got nothing here, at all!

2. Not being able to "Run As" some of the official Dell tools for managing these devices because they have made a terrible decision to develop them for consumers, so they can't handle Windows User Account Control (UAC) correctly! What Windows user in their right mind would use their computer as an admin!? Even small business and home users! If small business or home users are smart enough to know to not let users be admins for day-to-day use of their computer, Dell should not develop their software to punish us for being sensible and safe!

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

July 14th, 2022 22:00

Wow! Just wow, Dell!

It seems that, in your infinite wisdom, I am unable to edit my own post!? Seriosuly!!!???

Anyhow, the BIOS on my system is up to date: 1.8.0.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

July 15th, 2022 01:00

After trying to resolve this question through the Website chat and giving up, I spent over an hour on the phone with Dell support before they were able to eventually confirm this is a valid update for my system. They did try to tell me this was a BIOS update but after several rounds of insisting they are wrong and that they need to check again, they were able to confirm this is an update for the Toshiba SSD. They also provided me with the following link, for their official update download;

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=tknm3

So, this has all been as a result of Dell failing three fundamental things:

1. Not correctly associating a firmware update on their official support page for this device for my model laptop.

2. Not making the update available through Dell Update.

3. Releasing the update through Windows Update with absolutely no supporting information or even an adequate name. This last one I accept is, no doubt, a limitation of Microsoft's new and "improved" Windows Update, 

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

March 10th, 2023 22:00

Seven months later and not only has this same update reappeared in Windows Update, despite me applying it after I started this original post, but Dell still have not addressed the three points of failure I pointed out, above. No mention of this update on their official driver support page for this model laptop. Nothing shown as available in Dell Update and sweet FA information in Windows Update about what the update is for/does.

Nothing has been learnt.

No Events found!