Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 26th, 2018 11:00

Dell Inspiron 15 7537 Turns on for a second then turns off in a repeated loop - Blank Screen

Hi,

I am having an issue with my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series - 7537. It is continuously turning on for a legit second then turns off in a repeated loop. I have managed to hit F2 to get the BIOS menu but I cannot see anything on the screen, It is a blank screen (black). I tried connecting it to a monitor using the HDMI port but it says that it cannot detect any signal. I also tried removing the battery and using the AC adapter to turn on the laptop but still does the same issue. Also tried removing the RAM for a few seconds and the CMOS for a few seconds and tried turning on the laptop again and the issue continues to persist. What could seem to be the problem? Please advise.

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 26th, 2018 12:00

You've pretty much isolated a bad mainboard, if it won't power up on AC only, and having reseated the memory.

7 Posts

January 26th, 2018 12:00

@ejn63 wrote:

You've pretty much isolated a bad mainboard, if it won't power up on AC only, and having reseated the memory.

Mainboard as the motherboard? It does power up on both battery only and AC only however it turns on for a legit second then off in a repeated loop. If I press F2, it will stay on without any issues. However, the screen is black so I cannot see the BIOS menu (assuming that F2 is for the BIOS menu).

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 26th, 2018 13:00

Can you get a built-in self test to run on the screen?  (Hold D through powerup to initiate).

Is there an image on an external monitor when you connect one?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 26th, 2018 14:00

Count the beeps between pauses -- that's one indication.   Are there six?

7 Posts

So I swapped the memory from their original location and it stopped beeping. However, with the battery only installed the laptop turns on every second and off 5 times. The 6th time it turns on, it stays on and nothing is displayed on the screen. With the battery removed and only using the AC adapter, the laptop turns on for a second and turns off. The second time it turns on by itself, it stays on. What could seem to be the issue this time?

@ejn63 wrote:

Four beeps means a memory error.

Unplug system, disconnect battery and hold the power button.  Remove the base cover and the memory modules.  Reinstall and power on - if you get the same issue, try one module at a time in each socket until you isolate the bad module (which you'll need to replace) -- or, if both modules work in one socket but not the other, it's the socket that's bad;  in that case, replace the mainboard.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

Unplug system, disconnect battery and hold the power button.  Remove the base cover and the memory modules.  Reinstall and power on - if you get the same issue, try one module at a time in each socket until you isolate the bad module (which you'll need to replace) -- or, if both modules work in one socket but not the other, it's the socket that's bad;  in that case, replace the mainboard.

7 Posts

@ejn63 wrote:

Count the beeps between pauses -- that's one indication.   Are there six?

No, there are 4 beeps between each pause.

Not sure if this information is needed but the fan runs for 10 seconds after turning on the laptop then completely stops, however you can hear sound from the hard drive (normal running sound).

7 Posts

@ejn63 wrote:

Can you get a built-in self test to run on the screen?  (Hold D through powerup to initiate).

Is there an image on an external monitor when you connect one?

I tried doing so, but it does not let me. Now the laptop stays on without turning on and off in a infinite loop. However, I still cannot see anything on the screen. It is also making beeping noises all of a sudden after a minute of being on(never experienced this). 

No, there is not an image. Only displays a message saying cannot detect signal entering sleeping mode on the external monitor.

7 Posts

January 26th, 2018 15:00

@ejn63 wrote: 

The only thing that all this has in common is the mainboard - the odds of two memory modules being faulty are very low.

Try one more reset:

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive. 

Power up again - if you get a clean power up you're set.  If not, it's either replace the mainboard or replace the system -- this one is 3-4 years old, where major repairs (figure on a board replacement running over $300 with labor) start to look unappealing vs. replacing the system.

Didn't get a clean power up. I am going to try to purchase a new DDR3L memory and install it on the remaining slot that is not being used. If this fixes the solution then great, if not then i'll just leave it running on one DD3RL slot. Because with one ram installed I get a clean power up, I even tried both slots using the ram that doesn't give me issues and I get a clean up. I'll keep you posted in the days to come! Thank you so much for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it!

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

The only thing that all this has in common is the mainboard - the odds of two memory modules being faulty are very low.

Try one more reset:

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules and the hard drive. 

Power up again - if you get a clean power up you're set.  If not, it's either replace the mainboard or replace the system -- this one is 3-4 years old, where major repairs (figure on a board replacement running over $300 with labor) start to look unappealing vs. replacing the system.

7 Posts

@ejn63 wrote:

UPDATE: So I took out one of the memory card's out and tried isolated the problem. Both slots do work, however I believe the issue is one of the memory's cards (RAM) is bad. So in this case, I would actually need to replace the memory only -- correct?

1 Message

March 4th, 2019 15:00

@CT3S wrote:

@ejn63 wrote:

Try one more reset:

Didn't get a clean power up. I am going to try to purchase a new DDR3L memory and install it on the remaining slot that is not being used. If this fixes the solution then great, if not then i'll just leave it running on one DD3RL slot. Because with one ram installed I get a clean power up, I even tried both slots using the ram that doesn't give me issues and I get a clean up. I'll keep you posted in the days to come! Thank you so much for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Did it work?

1 Message

March 8th, 2021 12:00

Had the same problem, disconnect the battery and do the procedure with the D key and it worked again, (if the battery is reconnected it returns to the on / off loop)

No Events found!