Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

February 18th, 2023 05:00

Dell Inspiron 15 powers on only on battery, not when AC adapter in plugged in

Hi All,

My laptop does not power on when AC charger is plugged in. It does power on when power chord is removed.

I also know that the charger is working fine - it charges the battery when I plug it in after laptop has been powered on (with no charger).

In other words, my charger works but I have to unplug it to power on the laptop and then plug it back in.
I already tried resetting laptop power - removed battery and charger and pressed power button for 30 seconds. It did not resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

February 20th, 2023 23:00

• Make sure BIOS is the latest version.

• Make sure there is no issue with the connector pins on the battery, such as bent or corroded pins, or other physical issues with the battery.

• Make sure there is no corrosion on the battery pins where they connect to the motherboard. If you find corrosion, replace the motherboard.

• Try draining battery completely, leave it out of the system for a day, then charge it fully.

• You may need to replace the battery anyway, even though it works fine when the system is started from AC power. This laptop is rather old and if you still have the original battery that came with it, it may be starting to go out.

• If this happens even with a different, known working battery, the motherboard might need to be replaced.

278 Posts

February 21st, 2023 04:00

Based on the information you provided, it seems that your laptop is not powering on when the AC charger is plugged in, but it powers on when the power cord is removed. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check the power settings: Your laptop may be set to not power on when the AC charger is plugged in. Check the power settings in your operating system to ensure that the laptop is set to power on when the AC charger is connected.

2. Check the AC charger: The issue could be with the AC charger. Try using a different AC charger to see if that resolves the issue. If the laptop powers on with a different charger, then the original charger may be faulty.

3. Check the charging port: The issue could also be with the charging port on the laptop. Inspect the charging port for any signs of damage or debris that could be blocking the connection. If you see any damage or debris, you may need to take the laptop to a service center for repair.

4. Reset the BIOS: Try resetting the BIOS on your laptop to see if that resolves the issue. To reset the BIOS, turn off the laptop and unplug the charger. Then, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Plug in the charger and turn on the laptop to see if it powers on.

5. Check the battery: If your laptop has a removable battery, try removing the battery and powering on the laptop with only the AC charger connected. If the laptop powers on, then the issue could be with the battery.

6. Contact the manufacturer: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there's a hardware issue with the laptop. Contact the manufacturer's support team to see if they can provide further assistance or arrange a repair if necessary.

In summary, if your laptop is not powering on when the AC charger is plugged in, there are several troubleshooting steps you can try to identify and resolve the issue.

No Events found!