Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

3 Posts

October 24th, 2020 04:00

Dell Inspiron 3521 won't start -- power light and fan come on, but screen remains black

Dell Inspiron 3521 won't start -- power light and fan come on, but screen remains black

The laptop will no longer turn on, and I just get a black screen, but there is no problem with the power supply as the light comes on.  Further information:

• The power light comes on when the cable is plugged in
  • The battery charging light comes on when the battery is in place
  • The fan comes on after pressing the power button, but the screen remains blank and the laptop does not boot
  • The HDD light turns on at the start but turns off like 2secs later
  • I have tried removing battery & power and holding the power button down for 15-30secs but this doesn't help
  • I have tried starting the laptop with memory and HDD removed, but I get the same symptoms
  • Plugging into a external monitor via HDMI gives no signal

i tried removing the cmos battery and putting it back after 1 hour but nothing changed. 

pls help

3 Posts

October 24th, 2020 05:00

when i boot up withou ram i hear 4 beep sequence

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

October 24th, 2020 05:00

If you didn't hear a two-beep sequence when you tried booting without RAM, the mainboard is toast.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

October 24th, 2020 06:00

The last thing you can try is powering up on AC only - no battery.  If that gets the system running, the battery is bad.  If it doesn't, the mainboard is faulty.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

October 30th, 2020 03:00

It's time to replace the system board (or replace the system;  this one may not be worth such a major repair, given its age and low-end nature.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2020 03:00

no the battery is not the issue.
when i remove it and start up the pc i get the same issue.

No Events found!