Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2020 13:00

Dell Inspiron 5577 HDMI port is using only Intel HD card

Hi, I just bought Acer Nitro XV242Y display and connected it to my Dell Inspiron 5577 via HDMI port. Unfortunately I'm not able to play any game since refresh rate drops to 30Hz and FPS are low. Display is using internal graphics. Is it possible to set GTX1050 as default for HDMI port and Intel HD only as a bypass (since I know display is physically connected to CPU not GPU)? I used Nvidia control panel to set GPU as default one but nothing's changed. I can't believe this laptop is unable to use external display for gaming...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 30th, 2020 03:00

I have a 5577.  Intel video is all that I get from mine, too.  The way its designed.  Intel is the default video and NVIDIA is only for some games, but even that is only for the built in laptop screen.

4 Posts

January 14th, 2021 13:00

I've been using mentioned external monitor for a while now and I have some observations.

As fireberd wrote - it is how it is in 5577. There's no rules which game will run in 60 Hz or 30 Hz but you can try some tips that work for me:

- disable DX12 - e.g. The Division 2

- update Nvidia drivers - the newest ones from 07.01.2021 unlocked 60 Hz in Star Wars Battlefront 2

- or it was using optimal NVIDIA Geforce Experience software presets for that game

- try window mode - some games like Killing Floor 2 have frameless window mode option that looks like full-screen but with 60 Hz

- split screen mode - recommended for less demanding games if nothing else work

I hope it will help you. If anyone got some other tips - feel free to reply

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

December 29th, 2020 14:00

This is a software-controlled hybrid video system - only the Intel GPU has a connection to the internal or HDMI display panel.  Though the nVidia chip is used when the application and Optimus support it, all video passes through the Intel GPU on its way to the display panel -- this is how most systems other than those designed for high-end gaming or workstation use are designed.

The is no provision for hardware or firmware control of the GPU on this system - for that, you'll need a system that has hardware-switchable graphics (you'll find that in Precision workstations, XPS 17 models with RTX GPUs, and many Alienware systems).  

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 29th, 2020 14:00

@Rafkas  Does the game perform properly when it's running on the built-in display?  If so, then the system's GPU design isn't your issue because the built-in display is wired to the Intel GPU as well.  The NVIDIA GPU is a render-only device, and this design has been the most common way to implement dual GPUs on laptops for years.  I wrote a long post about the various implementations of dual GPUs and their benefits and drawbacks in the post marked as the answer in this thread if you're curious, but the bottom line is that you can't have the NVIDIA GPU take direct control of the display outputs on that system.  That's true of most other systems too.  But again, if the game works as expected on the built-in display that's also controlled by the Intel GPU, then that's not the problem.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

December 29th, 2020 15:00

What happens if you disable the internal screen and run only the external?  If both are active at the same time, you're going to see the system work harder to push video to both displays (and the nVidia GPU in the system is decidedly not exactly leading edge for gaming at this point).

4 Posts

December 29th, 2020 15:00

@jphughan Yes, when using built-in display everything works at computer's full potential. There's no Hz and FPS drop also when displays are set on "split-screen" mode. The issue is when only external is set to be active.

4 Posts

December 30th, 2020 01:00

@ejn63 When external only max. refresh rate on the desktop is 60Hz and I cannot set more in advanced settings (even if display got max. 165Hz), when launching a game refresh rate automatically sets at 30Hz and FPS drops significantly.

No Events found!