jmyshral
1 Copper

Dell Precision M3800 Touchpad / Synaptics Driver Error

I have a Precision M3800 running 64 bit Windows 10 .  The touchpad seems to have forgotten my preferences for two finger scrolling and I cannot change the options back to the way they were working before just a couple of weeks ago.  In addition, when I click on the Control Panel / Mouse I get the following error message -

Unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
If you have installed another PS/2 Pointing Device Drive, please uninstall the Synaptics driver by clicking on the Yes button.  You then need to reinstall your pointing device driver for your external device again.
Do you want to uninstall the Synaptics driver now?

When the Dell Touchpad tab pops up on the Mouse Properties window, you can click on the link at the bottom that says "Click to change Dell Touchpad settings".  It takes a long time and sometimes many clicks but eventually it brings up the "Dell Pointing Devices" Touchpad window.  But no matter what you change, you cannot save any changes to the Touchpad settings. I am trying to fix the Touchpad Gestures with "Two Finger Gestures" - it currently has "reverse scroll direction" selected and I cannot unselect this option modify and  "Save" any new options.  Any time I click "Save" and go back into the tab the changes have not been saved.

I have downloaded the latest driver from the Dell Support website - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=YYK15

Driver number is Version 19.2.17.64, A10
Release date
17 Jan 2018
Last Updated
27 Mar 2018

I believe this problem started recently with the March 27 update, but I am not 100% sure.  I usually use my laptop with an external mouse and keyboard, but I can tell with only using only the touchpad, the scrolling is not functioning properly and I cannot change the touchpad options.

How can I reverse the driver and get it working again?
Labels (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: Dell Precision M3800 Touchpad / Synaptics Driver Error

I'm using the same driver you are, and although I've already upgraded to Win10 1803 (which I did when it looked like that would become RTM....), I'm still able to change that setting and have it take effect.  If you haven't already, try uninstalling the Dell Touchpad application in Programs and Features, restarting, and then reinstalling it.

0 Kudos
jmyshral
1 Copper

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion.  I tried uninstalling the Dell Touchpad application as you suggested, then restarted, reinstalled, restarted again, but I am back with the same problem.

0 Kudos
zaipie
1 Copper

(Edit: I seem to have lost my previous Reply, so this might become a duplicate.)

TL;DR: I have the same problem on Windows 10 version 1709 build 16299, xps 15 9530.

What fixed it for me was to 'Roll Back Driver' for the Dell Touchpad driver from the Device Manager. (Win + X > Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices)

RollBackDriver.PNG

(Edit2: Note that Image won't load for anonymous users)

0 Kudos