Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 22nd, 2018 00:00

Dell inspiron 15 7577 extremely slow and laggy on start up

Hi, I got a dell inspiron 15 7577 over the holidays this past December. For several months it worked fine and I had absolutely no complaints. Over the past week though I have noticed an issue which has progressively gotten worse and worse. Anytime I wake the computer up from sleep, restart it, or shut it down and boot it up it becomes painfully slow and laggy. For example I will start it up and then sign in and then click on google chrome and it will take several minutes for the browser to load a page. It hardly matters what app I choose to test this on: netflix, chrome, even the computer's own start menu or battery indicator will take several minutes to open on start up. Also at times this is accompanied by my cursor turning into a blue circle that spins seemingly forever until I am forced to shut the computer down and try again. This issue has rendered my computer nearly inoperable. At times it will seem fine, but the moment I leave it for long enough that it goes to sleep the problem starts again when I wake it up. I have tried several things in the hope of finding a solution but none have worked. Firstly I thought that I might have a virus, so I let malwarebytes run a scan, but nothing came up. Then I decided to perform a system refresh where I kept my files but reinstalled windows and lost all of my third party apps. This temporarily worked, but caused some of its own problems, such as turning half of my desktop icons blank and making it impossible for me to reinstall discord. Yet, once I let my computer sleep again and woke it up my original problem came back. Additionally, now the blue circle sometimes appears randomly after startup and my computer's fans will turn on at seemingly random times. Since it wasn't a virus and also not an issue with windows software itself I thought it might be an issue with programs running at startup or with hardware, so I went to task manager and disabled a bunch of my antivirus programs from running at startup. I also restarted my computer and hit f12 and ran a full system diagnostic which said that there were no hardware issues. I am very confused about what is going on and to be honest a little bit bewildered. Any help that you can provide is appreciated.

9.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hi N8dawg88,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Slow performance can be caused by a variety of issues.  Here is an article from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Troubleshoot Slow Performance Issues on a Dell PC

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 07:00

Check the performance tab in Task Manager, i bet it shows 100% disk activity for no reason like mine did. This is a well known problem with windows 10 and you may be suprised to know that someone discovered that if you change your power plan to 'High Performance' with default settings, disk usage will drop down to 0, until windows 10 changes your plan back for you.

I have just read about a conflict between the intel and nvidia garaphics that makes this model perform much slower than my mothers 8yo HPdv5 with windows 10. A program called 'TrayPwrD3' apparently helps with that.

'DPC Latency Checker' shows that my 7577 has 3 times the latency than it should have, and the main culprit acording to 'LatencyMon' is ACPI.sys.

I just spent 2 frustrating days updating to the latest verdion of windows 10 and now the GTX1060 refuses to install drivers. Things are just getting worse....

5 Posts

March 24th, 2018 05:00

• Download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility from here

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

• Click on 'All Controls' tab on the left.

• Set the 'Turbo Boost Power Max' slider to 45 (the TPD of your processor)

• Click on yellow 'apply' on right.

• Watch in amazement as your laptop stops performing like a tablet.

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 7577 and the cpu was set to 5.5 instead of 45, which was the cause of the lag and terrible performance.

January 5th, 2019 19:00

Bro im also dealing with the same problem did u find any solution please let me know bro

1 Message

August 29th, 2020 04:00

Dude, what you described is amazing!!!!

My Dell XPS 9575 has been slow especially after startup forever and I have been trying to figure out the reason for 2 years now. My Turbo Boost Short Power Max was set to 60 instead of 48, so I guess this was taking power away from my GPU.

Thanks for sharing!

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2021 18:00

I have 2 of the Dell 7570 laptops that are in new condition. They have gotten so-slow that I was considering throwing them in the trash. I worked in IT for years but for some reason this slowness was a mystery to me. I had tried everything I knew to try to improve the performance but nothing worked. I couldn’t even open a webpage once it was booted up for about 5 minutes. By the way, these laptops passed all the hardware tests (including the hard drive) ones. What was apparent was the hard drive showed 100% usage even when no resources were being used.

Here is the fix. I purchased a new M.2 SSD NVME PCI hard drive and reinstalled the OS on this drive. I’m using the old drive as storage drive. This pc is lightning fast now. Boots up in 30 seconds or less.

Dell has only tested 500 GB drives so I’m not sure if a larger one will work. Here is the drive that I had purchased:

Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to...

How do I know what types of drives that my desktop/laptop supports? Go to Dell support (Product Support | Dell US, search by product, enter your SN and then browse available hard drives. This is how I determined which drives my device supports. Please be aware that there are 2 M.2 different widths, 3 different lengths and at least 2 options for the bus. Mine included the mouthing screw but yours may not.

Everything that you need to know about the different types of SSD drives for computers is covered in this review on Amazon.

Speedy drive for everyday, mainstream computing at an EXCELLENT price (amazon.com)

I hope that this helps.

No Events found!