Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

June 8th, 2019 11:00

Dell inspiron 3567 looks like it has a disc drive but Windows won't recognize it/ I think it's a dummy drive

This has been really pissing me off. The computer LOOKS like it has a drive and even looking at specs there is a little pin hole and a button. However my computer has NOTHING! none of it! I tried everything from updating drivers to checking to see if it's in the BIOS/UEFI and the computer just won't recognize it. I read somewhere that some inspiron computers look like they have a disk drive but don't actually have the real hardware. That is absolute BS if I payed $600 for a computer with no disk drive even though it said AND looked like it had one and even on the website said that there was one. If it doesn't, is there a way to buy or replace the dummy part with a real part (like from one of my old computers)? Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 8th, 2019 12:00

Are you referring to a DVD drive?  If so, I don't know for sure but none of my newer systems came with one.

If not, you might look at the service manual on the download page to see what is in the position you reference.  Many systems have optional equipment which may not be installed unless ordered.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

June 8th, 2019 12:00

@Blakiemon wrote:

This has been really pissing me off. The computer LOOKS like it has a drive and even looking at specs there is a little pin hole and a button. However my computer has NOTHING! none of it! I tried everything from updating drivers to checking to see if it's in the BIOS/UEFI and the computer just won't recognize it. I read somewhere that some inspiron computers look like they have a disk drive but don't actually have the real hardware. That is absolute BS if I payed $600 for a computer with no disk drive even though it said AND looked like it had one and even on the website said that there was one. If it doesn't, is there a way to buy or replace the dummy part with a real part (like from one of my old computers)? Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

A dummy part?   LOL.  That is funny.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3567-laptop

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 8th, 2019 13:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Blakiemon 

Have you updated your BIOS???

If not try this version: 2.8.0, 2.8.0

Dell Inspiron 3467/3567 System BIOS:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=4RF0J&osCode=wt64a&productCode=inspiron-15-3567-laptop

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes:
- Fixed the issue in BIOS where the optical drive does not get detected.
- Added support for systems that use Intel i3-7020 processor to let BIOS detect and display the Video Controller information and Video BIOS Version accurately.

Not sure if it will help???

Best regards,

U2

1.5K Posts

June 8th, 2019 14:00

Well first off have you contacted tech support? If this is a new computer you must have some warranty. It must have been working when you bought it if not take it back most stores have at least a 30-day return policy.

There is also a chance that you don't have a hard drive a lot of the new notebooks are coming with SSD there much faster and take a lot less power heat space

as to your issue it sounds like your hard drive died

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 05:00

@Blakiemon 

Any update???

Regards,

U2

1 Message

January 30th, 2020 19:00

Hi! I have the same laptop and it doesn't come with a cd disc. You can buy one for $40 online and install it yourself. Just make sure that the one you buy is compatible with your pc model. Don't forget to buy a sata cable to connect it to the motherboard. I hope this helps!

No Events found!