Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

16 Posts

September 8th, 2021 13:00

Desktop Window Manager using 100% of Intel GPU

Whenever I play a 3D Game, after 20 minutes or so, my Nvidia GPU usage drops from 40 to 0, my CPU drops from 30-40 to 10, but my Intel GPU goes up to 100%, causing INSANE fps drops for 1 minute, then everything turns back to normal and then glitches again soon after. Watching in Task Manager, Desktop Window Manager is the cause of the problem. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

16 Posts

Dell G5 15 5587

CPU: i5-8300H @ 2.30 GHz

GPU 0: Intel UHD Graphics 630

GPU 1: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

System model, CPU GPU  ??

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2021 14:00

This can Happen in 2 cases.

GPU over heating : Open Supportassist > Troubleshooting > I want to troubleshooting my PC > Scan a specific piece of hardware > Graphic card (there will be 2 listed Choose NVIDIA) Run stress test check if machine is overheating and than dropping frame rates, If the GPU has no issues than it will stay on a fixed Frame rate and temps should be below 85-90

Bad Drivers Once you have done test and no issues found : Use GeForce Drivers and choose Clean installation which will wipe old Drivers completely and Put Game ready drivers.

GeForce Experience download

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2021 15:00

No does not look like a Driver issue,

That stress test is designed to troubleshoot this kind of issue. 

I believe machine in thermal throttling or GPU is failing and needs replacement 

You can try GeForce Drivers from NVIDIA, install Geforce experience from NVIDIA. 

install recommended drivers and test again, 

Same issue than I hope your machine is in warranty. 

If yes ,Perform a Factory RESET prior contacting tech support as they will insist on doing so Prior replacing GPU (entire motherboard)  

16 Posts

September 8th, 2021 15:00

While running the test, at the start, temperature was around 80-86 and GPU usage around 85-99%, with stable fps. However, after a few minutes, the whole simulation lagged (as expected), the temperatures dropped to 77-80, GPU usage dropped to 70-80%, and fps dropped from 250+ to less than 50. At the end, SupportAssist just said "Stress Test passed" with a green check. My current drivers are 462.31 from the Dell specific page for my laptop. What should I do now?

16 Posts

September 8th, 2021 16:00

Done everything but the problem still persists. While in the simulation, I noticed that Desktop Window Manager was using 100% of my GPU, and that's why it lagged so much.

I've searched for solutions online but none seem to work, and sometimes replacing the GPU doesn't work either.

In any case, may I know why exactly this executable program is causing the fps drops? Because I can't see any correlation between the GPU failing and this program using the entire GPU. As stated before, games run fine for a while before collapsing, and also it only happens on 3D games, but not in Minecraft or emulators for example. Why?

No Events found!