Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2021 13:00

E7440 can't update BIOS

Hello forum users, my friend recently bought a refurbished Latitude 7440 and i'm trying to update the BIOS on this computer.

pc spec:

• I7-4600U
  • 16gb ram
  • 250SSD

Other:

• Battery health = Excellent
  • Ac adapter = 90W

i currently have A12 and im trying up upgrade to A28.

when i run the E7440A28.exe everything is normal, program loads up and the computer restarts.

My problem is that after the restart when the flash is supposed to start, it just loads for ~20sec on black screen, then a few sec on Dell splash and boots to windows.

what i tried so faar:

Iv tried the A13, A25 and A28 update with the same results. whatever method i use loads up the update and restarts the computer.

the only error message i can give you are from BIOS->system logs->Power events->"Power on - not applicable".

iv done everything i can think of.

What is my next step?

thanks

-Felaron

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Refurbished laptops could have a mish-mash of hardware. That error can mean the update is not applicable. If the computer is working fine I wouldn't try updating the bios. 

Dell support agreed in this old thread-- BIOS log Power ON - Not Applicable - Dell Community

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

You did not mention it but do you have Bitlocker running?

3 Posts

Thank you for the reply

3 Posts

sorry forgot to mention that, but i do not have bitlocker running.

1 Message

August 4th, 2021 07:00

I found another reason why upgrade is not possible - not the solution.

From certain Bios version Dell started to emit Bios with higher security standard. Sad is that it doesnt work and only lock your machine bios not to be able to be upgraded any more. Just look to your Bios general page whether SFU is enabled. If so, you have no chance to upgrade your BIOS any more. Change is irreversible, just like stated in Dell sheet. It behaves just like described - flashing starts as usually but after restart doesnt continue - just loads OS again....

Cheers, Chris.

2 Posts

June 24th, 2022 05:00

EDIT2: ME drivers did not help, neither did enabling/switching to legacy/UEFI, updating thru DOS also does nothing, updating thru BIOS just reboots as soon as i click "OK".... still stuck on A21, tried using the newer/updated Flash64 External which also does nothing

2 Posts

June 24th, 2022 05:00

same issue here, laptop has bios A21 cant update to anything newer since bios wont load the update
EDIT: ill be looking into this, one thing i think might help is installing the Chipset drivers/Intel ME interface components, ill message back if this helps/solves the issue

No Events found!