Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 28th, 2018 12:00

Fast Internet, Slow on Inspiron 15 5000

Hi everyone,

My internet's been playing up for the past 2 weeks or so on my laptop. Speedtest is saying my download speed is about 90mbps, but browsing the internet has become extremely difficult - trying to load any webpage can take up to 20 seconds, and is normally preceded by a "this page cannot be found" error message on Chrome which mentions not being able to find the DNS server.

I've fully scanned by computer 4 times over the past 2 weeks (3 with Kaspersky and 1 with Malwarebytes), I've changed my DNS settings so that it uses Google's DNS, I've tried other browsers and I've tried downloading new drivers. Nothing's come up and the problem persists, and my Internet is fine on other devices. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks.

1 Message

June 11th, 2019 07:00

Thank You Thank You Thank YOU !!!  Problem solved !  THANK YOU A

@Bilo4321 wrote:

1) Type msconfig, then under “system configuration” click on services. Find smartbyte network service and uncheck it, then restart your computer.

2) go to device manager, find network adapters, expand it, then right click on your intel dual band wireless and go to properties. Click on advanced, find throughput booster then enable it on the window to its right. Next go to transmit power and make sure it is set to the highest. Then go to roaming aggressiveness and set it to lowest.

you should then have rocket speed!

1 Message

June 24th, 2019 04:00

I was having this same internet speed issue on my Inspiron 15 5566 model. I read thru all the posts and unchecked the smartbyte app.

PROBLEM SOLVED!   

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 24th, 2019 05:00

Try Disabling the SmartByte Network Service if usual solution dous not work
For that
Go to Start -> System Configuration->Select Service Tab->Uncheck the SmartByte Network Service ->Click Ok and do the Restart

This worked for me.

Regards,

Adrian

June 28th, 2019 05:00

Indeed! My internet service is 250 mbps (confirmed via speed tests at the router). I just bought this laptop (i3 core) at Costco and was underwhelmed by my ethernet-connected internet speed--about 30 down and--weirdly--about 90 up. I just unchecked the SmartByte service as you described and now I'm at 90 up and down. So, some improvement, but still no where near what it should be. Any thoughts?

June 28th, 2019 10:00

Update and comment:

Dell does have an article here regarding the SmartByte app and known impacts to speed. Updates to it are available. Use Dell Updates or Dell SupportAssist to get them. My laptop is recently purchased from Costco online. However, likely, it has sat on a shelf for some time. There were tons of updates I had to work through over the last two days or so. In the end, even with the SmartByte app enabled I am getting virtually as fast a speed as my network device provides for. It is rated at no more than 100 mbps. So regardless of my ISP's to speed of 250 mbps, I can never expect to get that fast with this laptop. No, my speedtests are coming in right around 94 mbps. I'm not going to quibble about 6 mbps gap (via ethernet--less than 6 feet from the router). I'm good now.

1 Message

August 4th, 2019 09:00

Thanks for your post.  Went from 139mbs to 465mbs

1 Message

September 9th, 2019 16:00

Thank you!   Reading your comment has saved yet another Dell laptop from polluting a landfill near me!   My Speedtest went from 5M to 60M.    I wished I had spent a little more for a lappy that at least had a 5G wi-fi radio.  My broadband runs over 200M on the 5G side.  

1 Message

November 24th, 2019 05:00

Nov 2019 - Purchased a newer one;  

Removed SmartByte  - temporary improvement; degraded after a few hours.

Turned off Bluetooth and adjusted the WiFi aggressiveness.

Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter doesn't have an option to change the broadcast power.

Adjust BIOS to run full power.

None of these worked.

Disabled the device and switched to an $8  USB WiFi adapter worked; but it caps me at 18MBPS/18MBPS.

1 Message

December 9th, 2019 17:00

Thanks so much removing smartbyte fixed my problem.

1 Message

August 25th, 2020 09:00

@Bilo4321 @Bilo4321 

Using msconfig I disabled Rivet AP Selector Service and Rivet Dynamic Bandwidth Manager and SmartByte Network Service.  Restarted machine.  Getting barely any internet speed (measured in bits per second or KB per second at best) from two Dell Inspiron 3593 Interl Core i5s w/ 8GB Ram.

Also attempted to change throughput booster but that's not fully shown/available on my computers. COULD NOT do transmit power (not shown).  COULD do roaming aggressiveness.

Every other computer and device in my house connected to verizon wifi router wifi gets Verizon Fios speeds of 30+ (up to 70 in some cases) MB speeds when connected to Wifi router as these two Dells.

1 Message

January 7th, 2021 12:00

I had a similar problem with my Inspiron 15 5570 running Windows 10. I followed all the recommendations I found from users with a similar problem:

- Updated BIOS

- Updated the Drivers for WiFi and Bluetooth (I even used the Drivers from 3 different sources (Microsoft, Dell and Intel)

- Removed the SmartByte application, I even removed all the instances of the SmartByte from the registry.

However, the problem persisted. I realized after that the issue is some sort of conflict between the Bluetooth signal and the WiFi signal. When a device is paired to my laptop via Bluetooth (I had it paired with an Echo Plus speaker) the WiFi speeds were reduced significantly, to the point that would make the device inoperable. The connection via Ethernet cable was always unaffected and great. After removing the paired Bluetooth device, the WiFi speeds went back to "normal". And by "normal" I mean great Wi-Fi speed.

1 Message

January 9th, 2021 19:00

Searched everywhere, tried everything, then found your post and wham - speeds increased!

THANKS @Bilo4321

No Events found!