Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

April 11th, 2020 04:00

HDD password status: frozen

The hdd that came with my laptop inspiron 7537 is failing and a Seagate 1Tb hdd was bought as a replacement. The old drive was cloned and after swapping the drives "no bootable device" welcomed me, checking the bios setup revealed a suspicious setting "HDD password status: frozen". This setting didn't change even when the old drive is returned however booting was a breeze with the old drive in place. Can this be the reason for the unsuccessful drive replacement?

Any suggestion towards achieving a successful drive replacement will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

April 11th, 2020 06:00

Thank you for the link. I will revert once I'm through with the directives.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

April 11th, 2020 08:00

If there's a password set on the original drive, you will need to remove it before you replace the drive.

Go into setup,  enter the current password and enter a blank password twice.  Then save.

Then swap the new drive into the system.

April 12th, 2020 06:00

Thanks so much. I have at this moment been able to clear the frozen password, however the I am unable to boot into windows with the new disk. I will have to swap in the old disk and remove the hard drive password and I might be successful this time. 

April 13th, 2020 05:00

This solution works to clear the hdd password state. However, I still can't boot to windows and I get “Access is denied” error while running bootrec/fixboot in the recovery environment command prompt.

July 23rd, 2020 06:00

Im having a similar issue. Im using the original drive that came with the Inspiron 7537. Windows was note working correctly so I did a clean install. So far so good. Windows install, boots, connect to internet, download updates and freeze. Restart the notebook, nothing. Open BIOS, HDD Password Frozen. Managed to reset bios so instead of frozen it reads cleared, restart the notebook. Again HDD Password Frozen. The link posted in the comments does nothing. Ive tried accesing the HDD from another computer and it works fine, can read write, but when installing the original hdd in the notebook it doesnt work, only says frozen. How can I fix this  feature?

July 23rd, 2020 12:00

Sorry about this experience @ezequielmr 

I went through several routes to solve it and I've forgotten about the details of the specific action that finally helped me solve it. It was a YouTube video with about four alternative solutions, I had tp go through all the methods and the last method worked.

It was a command prompt coding about efi and UEFI.

It is similar to the information found in this YouTube video   https://youtu.be/BBeiztzS5vo 

I wish I could find the exact video that helped me but this video hopefully will lead you in the right direction. 

Best of luck.

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

July 27th, 2020 08:00

What model number is the drive?  Seagate has had many issues with its newer 2.5" slim notebook drives of late.  It's by far not impossible the new drive is defective.

July 27th, 2020 08:00

Well this is sick, I've tried everything mentioned here, Set a password to the drive, then remove that password, set password to bios to system, removed them later. nothing works. I cant understand this "feature" everything I do is pointless, everytime the windows loads the hdd freezes and I cant use the notebook, remove the battery almost 20 times

July 28th, 2020 14:00

Western Digital Black, WD7500BPKX-75HPJT0.

Also i didnt change the drive. Its the same that came when bought. I change it later only to try a new one but the laptop did the same.The original drive works perfectly in other machines

No Events found!