Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2019 02:00

Help unlock Bios Setup Admin Password

Hi I cannot change any settings in the bios, it’s locked. I bought the laptop on eBay, secondhand, I have registered it under my details, I have contacted the original owner, he can’t remember setting a password and gave me a few passwords to try none of them work. After 3 failed attempts I am presented with a window Admin password error codes but there is no error codes above. I can boot to win10 and can set System password and HDD password but cannot change any settings in the bios. If a dell representative can help that would be great. Thanks.

February 5th, 2019 04:00

Not to worry I tried admin for the password and to my surprise it worked. Lucky me, looks like I saved myself some cash :-)

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

February 5th, 2019 04:00

You will have to call Dell tech support and after verifying ownership, they can help you unlock the BIOS.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Forgot-Unlock-Setup-Password/td-p/4207863

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 05:00

That was indeed sheer luck. Glad to see it worked out.

1 Message

November 8th, 2019 04:00

I really need help I’ve been  stuck at password at startup , for 4 months I’ve been trying everything but still locked out , why for no apparent reason it has to have a password that I didn’t put

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

November 8th, 2019 04:00

Read my reply above please. You will have to call Dell tech support for your region and after confirming that you are the owner, they will help you unlock the system.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Forgot-Unlock-Setup-Password/td-p/4207863

1 Message

November 27th, 2019 17:00

I have tried calling Dell twice already. The password they gave me doesn't work. I can't believe Dell would restrict their users this much.

1 Message

December 6th, 2019 19:00

I didn't get any error code while trying to remove setup locked bios password. What can i do to remove this password? 

1 Message

February 13th, 2020 14:00

How to Bypass or Remove a BIOS Password by Removing the C.M.O.S Battery:

The simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the C.M.O.S battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a C.M.O.S battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget a lot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

Finding the C.M.O.S Battery:

Anyway, open up the computer case using a screw driver and locate the flat, circular and metallic C.M.O.S battery. It should look something like the picture to the right. Some computers have this part standing upright. Once you have located it, observe how the latches are holding it. There are many different ways to remove a C.M.O.S battery but the most common way on newer computers can be seen in the picture below. Removing the C.M.O.S Battery Make sure to power down the computer, unplug the power cables and unplug any USB devices if they are powered. The computer must not be able to get power from anywhere for this to work. Take out the C.M.O.S battery and wait 10 – 25 minutes before putting it back in. The reason for this wait is because the computer can still store power in its capacitors even though everything is unplugged. The waiting period allows enough time for them to discharge. Plug everything back in, power up the computer and enter the BIOS again. If everything went well there should be no more password. In some cases, if you get weird error messages during boot up now, you will need to go to “Load BIOS Defaults” in BIOS and save the changes to fix them.

Spoiler
All the Best,

@JeffCasper 
All the Best, 

1 Message

July 26th, 2020 21:00

You could also remove the password jumper on the motherboard and put it on the CMOS reset Jumper and you will find you BIOS password has been removed. 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 27th, 2020 04:00

Not on a notebook it won't - Dell notebooks  store the password in EPROM.

1 Message

October 12th, 2020 18:00

What do you mean admin password?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 30th, 2020 05:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @west420 

Just Google: Dell BIOS Password.

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

November 30th, 2020 05:00

yes they are and thats why mine is still locked as well i have tried everything and some extra. before i figured oiut the battery thing was a joke i left mine off for over a day. i have been to 3 repair shops wont touch it and Dell is no help so if any one has a idea please let me know im using pen and paper to do my mid term 

1 Message

May 15th, 2021 08:00

I have the same problem. It's been a few years since I lost this laptop's charger and kept the laptop on the shelf. Took a look at the motherboard and it's still working, but the Hard Disk is bad. So I changed the Hard disk and cleaned all the dust inside. I also bought the charger a few days ago and it's working. I would like to access the BIOS settings but the admin password is on the way. Can someone help me please? I've done a lot of things already trying to unlock the BIOS. 

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

June 4th, 2021 11:00

The only legitimate way is to place a voice call to Dell support.  Upon verification of ownership, they will assist you in unlocking the system.

No Events found!