Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JB

5 Posts

June 15th, 2020 12:00

High CPU and Memory Usage related to Windows update

I am really getting trouble after updating my windows.

I can see a very high usage of CPU and Memory after updating Windows 10 in my laptop(Dell Inspiron 15 5584)

I'v tried few methods to fix the thing like changing the value of Ndu and etc. But nothing is working.

Please help me with the solution.

Thanks in advance

Richard Joy Bhakto

Can you tell which app/service is using cpu and memory from task manager?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community @Joy Bhakto 

It just so happens this update was released by Dell today.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=5mprf&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-5584-laptop

Is it the same update?

Or do you need to update this also?

Best regards,

U2

June 15th, 2020 13:00

Specially 

- System interrupts 

- Windows Modules Installer Worker

- Anti malware Service Executable ( using up to 14% CPU)

- Dell Inventory Utility

- Desktop Window Manager

etc

But there are many other random system applications using the CPU and memory in a high extent

Please help

Thanks

June 16th, 2020 00:00

Windows module install worker uses cpu when there is a windows update going on in the background.

Open Settings>Update and Security>Windows update and see if any updates are being installed.

Antimalware service executable is windows defender(inbuilt antivirus). It runs in the background and keeps scanning for malware. Though it doesn't use CPU all the time.

Dell inventory utility- right click on service on task manager and open file location. See if you need the application. (Btw I don't have any dell software installed on my laptop and its fine.)

Desktop window manager - It should generally be using b/w 1-5% GPU.

You mentioned trying some steps, just verify if you done below all of them.

Open cmd and admin and run

sfc /scannow

(restart)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(restart)

Check for windows updates. 

Check for driver updates in the task manager.

June 17th, 2020 01:00

Thanks for your replay. I updated my Windows to 2006 version but installation can't be complete due to a problem. The following note is showing.

We're having trouble restarting to finish the install. Try again in a little while. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x80070032)

Can you please help me to solve this problem?  

June 17th, 2020 02:00

I had similar kind of issue updating to windows 2005 and I had to download windows update assistant and update using that tool.

So I guess windows is just trying to update the system every time and as it fails it is again trying to update and that might be causing the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

June 23rd, 2020 04:00

The problem is automatically fixed by windows update.

Thanks for all your support and replays  

June 23rd, 2020 05:00

So the high cpu usage issue you were talking about is just windows updating in the background then. Huh?

June 24th, 2020 10:00

Not actually, Because it was the same even after the windows update (1906)  was completed. And I was really struggling a lot to use my laptop in daily work. But after few days windows asked for new update (2004) and when I successfully installed 2004 update, the cpu usage became normal. But still it's not as good as my friend's laptop. He has a same configured laptop like mine, but still it's good enough.

Thanks for your support

hopefully you will help me again in future

No Events found!