Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2020 15:00

How to boot to usb on Inspiron 15 3567 with UEFI

I'm helping to repair a 15 3567 that was cycling with the Dell splash screen only, and would not finish the POST. Tried numerous repair efforts that did not work. Decided to remove the hard drive, attach it to another computer and hopefully access the drive to remove some important school documents. When I got into the drive, it said that the hard drive was empty and contained no files and had a full TB of free space, which is the size of the hard drive. Totally lost and wondering what happened to the hard drive and the info on it, I reinstalled the hard drive and followed directions from Dell using their OS Recovery Tool. I followed that by downloading onto a USB flash drive, Windows 10 along with all that was on the computer when it was originally sold.

The problem arises when inserting the flash drive into the 15 3567, there is no option to change the boot sequence to usb. I did have an option to run a diagnostic check on the computer and it ran for hours and reported that all the hardware had passed the tests and was operating properly. But I can't get it to boot to the USB port. The problem seems to be that  "Boot Mode is set to UEFI: Secure Boot: ON; PTT is ON".

What do I do to fix this, any ideas? Please help.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 25th, 2020 01:00

Power off the Dell and Power it up holding down [F2] to get to the UEFI BIOS Setup. Then try to reset the UEFI BIOS to factory defaults. Then power down and see if your USB Flash Drive Displays.

If not try to add the Boot Entry Manually:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/uefi/#ManualBootEntry

Note I would not bother with Windows 10 Version 1909 especially on a mechanical hard drive as it has faults with the Windows Indexing for Windows Search giving dreadful performance. This has been fixed in Windows 10 Version 2004.

Untitled.png

You can download the Windows Insider Preview Slow Track ISO which will install the cumulative update KB4550936 taking you to Build 19041.207 which Microsoft have already stated is the final build of Windows 10 Version 2004. I wrote an updated guide here:

https://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-version-2004-and-clean-install/

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 22nd, 2020 17:00

@1967 Mustang  on UEFI systems you don't go into the BIOS Setup and rearrange the boot order just to boot from a temporarily attached USB flash drive, because UEFI systems boot in a very different way from Legacy BIOS systems.  Although even on Legacy BIOS systems, going into the BIOS and temporarily rearranging your boot order and then changing it back later is an inefficient way to achieve USB booting.  The correct way is to press F12 during system startup to access the one-time boot menu, which as the name implies will allow you to choose an alternate boot device that one time, no need to mess with boot orders.

If you don't see your flash drive even in the F12 menu, then make sure it's properly set up for UEFI booting.  It needs to be formatted FAT32, not NTFS, and it needs to contain a bootable environment that actually supports being booted in UEFI mode, not just Legacy BIOS mode.  If you're trying to boot Windows 10 installation media, the Microsoft Media Creation Tool will take care of creating a UEFI-bootable flash drive.

April 22nd, 2020 20:00

I followed the instructions and inserted a 30GB Flash Drive. It partitioned the drive into 2 partitions, E: 1.31GB free of 1.99GB FAT32  DELLSTORE;   F: 27.1GB free of 27.2GB  NTFS  MEDIA. I started the 15 3567 and pressed F12 and a one time boot option never appeared, it just never popped up. This is the way Dell gave it to me. They asked for the Service Tag # and I thought they would match that info with an operating system I could install. They never gave me two different options of ones to download.

I just don't know what to do or how to do it. You gave me good advice, I just don't know how to get to that point where I will find a copy that will work.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 22nd, 2020 20:00

@1967 Mustang  Dell has used F12 as the key to access the one-time boot menu during startup on all of their desktops and laptops for over a decade now.  So if you can't access it, my only suggestion would be to start tapping it repeatedly as soon as you press the system's Power button to start it up, and maybe to try an external keyboard in case there's an issue with the F12 key built into the keyboard.

April 22nd, 2020 21:00

I agree with you, I was repeatedly pressing F12, so tried it again and only pressed it once. In the upper right hand corner it flashed up saying "preparing one-time boot menu" , then that went away and this screen came up:

Boot menu is set to: UEFI; Secure Boot: ON; PTT is ON;

UEFI BOOT:

Windows Boot Manager

OTHER OPTIONS:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

Change Boot Mode Settings

I have run the Diagnostics earlier today and it ran for about 5 hours, the report was all systems passed. I have been into all the other options and did not recognize anything that I thought I should press, so I didn't. It also says at the bottom BIOS Revision 2.9.0. 

April 22nd, 2020 22:00

Thank you for your help and recommendations. I will talk to the kid next door and see if he wants to pay for Windows 10 for this 2 year old computer or just go and buy a new one. That's all up to him at this point. But thanks again, I really appreciate it.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 22nd, 2020 22:00

@1967 Mustang  ok, that's the correct menu.  So it sounds like either the flash drive isn't prepped properly, or I've seen cases where certain systems simply won't boot from certain flash drives even if they'll work perfectly fine with those flash drives as normal flash drives.  But one thing you can try is downloading regular Windows 10 directly from Microsoft here rather than using the Dell OS Recovery Tool.  The Media Creation Tool you get from Microsoft will create a simple flash drive that supports UEFI booting, and it will also include the latest release of Windows 10 rather than whatever Dell decided to package.  From there you'll want to use either Dell Update or Dell SupportAssist to retrieve any necessary drivers for your system.  But this way you'll start with a basic installation of Windows 10 without any extra stuff that Dell bundles in, which some people prefer.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2020 09:00

No reason to buy a copy of Windows 10, the notebook already had 10 on it, so the MS Activation Servers already have your hardware registered so it will automatically activate.

MCT=  Media Creation Tool, Free to use,  allow it to create your USB Thumb Drive Installation media.  Use a clean USB as the tool will format it.

April 23rd, 2020 17:00

I have followed everyone's suggestions to the letter. I have used two different flash drives and have downloaded Microsoft Media Creation Tool 1909 and installed Windows 10 on both of them, and with the same results. This Inspiron will not except either one, and I get the same message on the screen when I hit F12, I just don't know what else to do, any suggestions from anyone? 

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

Did you allow MCT to create your USB install media? it asked you did you want to create a USB Install media

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

@1967 Mustang 

Download the ISO using MCT.

Use Rufus to create a USB flash drive.  https://www.aioboot.com/en/how-to-use-rufus-to-install-windows-10/

April 23rd, 2020 20:00

I never asked me if I wanted to create a install media but it did partition my Flash Drive into 2 partitions, E: 1.31GB free of 1.99GB FAT32  DELLSTORE;   F: 27.1GB free of 27.2GB  NTFS  MEDIA. After seeing that I assumed that the media was the install media.

This last ones I just finished with were both FAT32 and when making them it was set to both NTFS and BIOS, so I still have no idea what to do from here, any ideas anyone?

April 23rd, 2020 20:00

I downloaded Rufus and followed the instructions as per the web site concerning installing Windows 10 like you said. I even ran a long format first on the Flash Drive, not the quick one. And it gave me the same message when it was complete, it still didn't work. So re-formatted the Flash Drive again and loaded it back on again with the same results. I am lost, any other ideas, please?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 23rd, 2020 22:00

@1967 Mustang  so to recap, you've tried multiple different flash drives, using both Dell OS Recovery and standard Windows 10 install media, and you've tried creating the latter using both Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and Rufus -- and you've confirmed that the flash drive is formatted as FAT32 after those applications have prepped them.  And you still aren't getting your flash drive to appear in your one-time boot menu?

At this point the other thing I can suggest if you haven't done it already would to try a different USB port on your laptop in case there's some bizarre quirk that would allow the USB port you've been using to work fine within Windows but wouldn't allow it to be used for booting.  I know that's a long shot, but at this point it's all I've got at the moment.

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

April 24th, 2020 09:00

Using the MCT did you follow these directions?

MCT 2020-04-24.jpg

No Events found!