Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

D

2 Posts

June 29th, 2021 20:00

How to find the type of pen support a laptop has?

Hello,

I was wondering how do I find information on the type of pen support my Dell Inspiron 7405 2 in 1 laptop has? I hear there are three popular types of pen support such as Wacom AES 1.0/2.0, Microsoft Pen Protocol (MPP) 1.0/1.51/2.0, and Wacom EMR. I've searched other threads and generally I have looked to Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > HID-complaint pen > Details and from there I can only see a part number which seems impossible to find online. Then I head to windows setting > system > about > Pen and touch support with 10 touch points which does not let me know if it is AES or MPP. Then head to Pen and Window's Ink Setting and it doesn't mention a version. 

Besides the PN350M which seems to point towards having MPP support I need to know what version of MPP it has on the laptop. Has anyone found a method to figure out this information? Does it only support MPP?

1 Message

July 18th, 2021 13:00

Here is a link to the Dell Pen Compatibility Brochure:

https://www.delltechnologies.com/asset/en-us/products/electronics-and-accessories/briefs-summaries/Dell_Pen_Compatibility_Brochure.pdf#:~:text=Dell%20active%20pens%20offer%20a%20smooth%20and%20natural,and%20annotate%20however%20you%20want%2C%20wherever%20you%20are.

According to it all the Dell Inspiron laptops with pen support, including the 7405, only support the Microsoft Pen Protocol.  It does not mention the version of MPP, but I would assume that it is 1.0 or 1.5 since there is no mention of tilt support.  The 7405 does not have any support for Wacom AES versions.  It should be compatible with all pens that support MPP, the Dell version being the Dell Active Pen PN350M.  

No Events found!